Thursday, March 28, 2013
MACON, Ga. - After two weekends of Atlantic Sun Conference play, the “Peach State” owns the early lead with Mercer and Kennesaw State both at 4-2. Three teams are tied for third place at 2-1 in the A-Sun; FGCU, North Florida and Jacksonville
A-Sun Baseball Weekly Notes (#ASunBSB):
- Mercer went on the road to Kennesaw State and Stetson to earn two conference series victories and now returns home for a series with Jacksonville. The Bears are 9-2 at home this season.
- Co-leader Kennesaw State treks down to the site of the 2013 A-Sun Baseball Championship, DeLand, Fla for a series with Stetson. The Owls were at home for their first two series and are currently riding a four-game A-Sun win streak after sweeping Northern Kentucky. The Owls are tied for the most road wins in the league with a 12-7 record.
- Mercer, FGCU and North Florida are all hosting conference series for the first time this weekend.
- Currently, three A-Sun student-athletes are batting over .400 this season. Forty-seven hitters have batted .400 or better in A-Sun history with the last occurring in the last occurrence in 2011; Jacksonville’s Adam Brett Walker (.409). Eleven players have hit for .400 since the 2008 season.
- The A-Sun has racked up 22 wins against 2012 NCAA Tournament Participants. A-Sun teams have squared off against 17 of the 64 postseason teams and earned at least one win against nine of them. This year’s 22 wins already has passed last year’s win total of 20 vs. 2011 tournament teams.
- Mercer’s David Teasley is active leader for several pitching categories among conference hurlers. The senior leads all active players in wins (23) and appearances (135). Teasley ranks second in strikeouts with 172. Teasley’s 135 career appearances rank as the second-most in A-Sun history. He needs 17 more appearances to take over first place.
- Jacksonville’s Chris Anderson picked up his third A-Sun Pitcher of the Week honor after striking out 10 batters in a 3-0 win vs. USC Upstate. On the season, Anderson has already fanned 60 batters in only 47 innings pitched. Anderson’s 168 career strikeouts rank fourth-most among active A-Sun student-athletes.
- FGCU remained in the polls this weekend with a top ranking of No. 26 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll and also landed at No. 29 in the NCBWA poll.
- Four A-Sun teams are collectively batting over .300 for the season after one month of play; North Florida (.312), FGCU (.304), USC Upstate (.303) and Mercer (.300). Last season, only one team reached the mark for the year; Mercer (.302).
- FGCU’s pitching staff has a sterling ERA of 2.59 through 21 contests to lead the A-Sun. If the season ended today, the Eagles would rank second best in league history. Kennesaw State is second in the A-Sun this season at 2.97, which would be the third-best ERA all-time.
- North Florida’s Corey Bass picked up his first career A-Sun Player of the Week honors after tallying five extra-base hits with three doubles, a triple and a home run. He added seven RBI on the week.
- Kennesaw State’s James Connell owns the A-Sun lead in saves this season with five. The last two seasons, the A-Sun leader in saves has tallied 18, which is tied for the conference record. Stetson’s Robbie Powell (2012) and ETSU’s Bo Reeder (2011) share the A-Sun record.
- Mercer’s Travis Benn, Nick Backlund and Derrick Workman are all tied with 22 career home runs, which ranks best among active players in the A-Sun. The Bears lead the A-Sun with 28 homers this season; 10 ahead of second place, ETSU.
- The A-Sun owns the 13th best non-conference winning percentage among the 31 NCAA Conferences at 52.97 percent.
- In the latest WarrenNolan.com RPI release, two teams from the A-Sun appeared in the top-25; Mercer (16th) and FGCU (22nd). Four A-Sun squads are in the top-105 as North Florida ranks 86th and ETSU sits at No. 104.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.