Friday, April 19, 2013
MACON, Ga. - North Florida sits in the lead in the Atlantic Sun Baseball standings at 9-3, while Mercer and ETSU own the most victories with identical 10-5 records. The Ospreys host Kennesaw State (8-7), while Lipscomb (3-9) travels to Mercer and the Buccaneers are on the road against Stetson (6-6).
A-Sun Baseball Weekly Notes (#ASunBSB):
- The A-Sun has racked up 25 wins against 2012 NCAA Tournament Participants. A-Sun teams have squared off against 19 of the 64 postseason teams and earned at least one win against 11 of them. This year’s 25 wins already has passed last year’s win total of 20 vs. 2011 tournament teams.
- Mercer’s David Teasley is active leader for several pitching categories among conference hurlers. The senior leads all active players in wins (25), appearances (146) and strikeouts (199). Teasley’s 146 career appearances rank second-most in A-Sun history and only five away from tying the NCAA all-time record.
- The Mercer Bears landed in two polls this week after sweep formerly ranked, FGCU. Mercer is No. 24 in the Perfect Game rankings and No. 28 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll. North Florida and ETSU also received votes in the NCBWA poll.
- In the latest WarrenNolan.com RPI release, Mercer moved into the top-20 at No. 18, while FGCU landed at No. 34 ahead of North Florida in 69th.
- With a 5-0 record and 0.85 ERA, Kennesaw State’s Steve Janas landed on the National Pitcher of the Year Watch List by National College Baseball Hall of Fame. Janas is one of 41student-athletes across the country named to the list. Janas has allowed only four earned runs this season in 42.1 innings.
- ETSU’s Kerry Doane is leading the NCAA with seven complete games this season. He has gone the distance in his last four starts for the Buccaneers and pushed his record to 7-1 with a 1.96 ERA as he has hurled three shutouts this season.
- USC Upstate’s Chad Sobotka has closed out 18 games in his two-year career, which is tied for 13th-best in conference history. With his next save, Sobotka will move into a tie for 11th place.
- Northern Kentucky hosts Jacksonville this weekend as the Norse are in search of their first conference home victory. The Dolphins enter having won half of their conference series, but haven’t swept a series yet.
- North Florida and Mercer are both riding impressive win streaks as the Ospreys have won their last six contests just ahead of the Bears at five games.
- ETSU Head Coach Tony Skole enters the weekend only four games away from 450 wins in his career. With the Buccaneers, Skole has won 351 of his 446 victories.
- Kennesaw State’s Peyton Hart and ETSU’s Andrew Green are etching their names into the A-Sun career record books as the duo has cracked the top-40 for career at-bats. Hart is tied for 31st with 792 just ahead of Green with 786 career at-bats good for 34th place all-time.
- Mercer is tied for eighth in the nation for wins this season with Mississippi State at 30. The Bears’ .750 win percentage is 14th-best nationally. North Florida’s 27 victories is tied for 16th most.
- In non-conference play, Atlantic Sun teams have combined to post a .500 or better record against 14 of the 23 conferences they have squared off against. A-Sun squads have combined for 23 victories against BCS opponents, which is already more than last year’s total of 20.
- North Florida currently leads the league in batting average at .325 as well as team ERA (3.09). The last team to accomplish the feat was Mercer in 2011. The Ospreys’ current team batting average would rank as the 18th-best in league history, while the ERA ranks second-best all-time..
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.