Tuesday, May 14, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Take a look where Atlantic Sun Baseball teams rank in the national polls and where some of the top student-athletes rank statistically among the best in the nation.
Mercer dropped to No. 28 in the NCBWA National Poll after a 3-2 week, while FGCU received votes in two rankings following a 4-1 week. The Bears fell two spots in the College Baseball Daily Mid-Major Poll to No. 3, while the Eagles improved two spots to 12th. Mercer, FGCU and North Florida all rank in the top-65 of RPI; Mercer (24), North Florida (60), FGCU (62).
In the individual national statistical leaders, ETSU's Kerry Doane continues to lead the NCAA with 10 complete games, while his 11 victories ranks third. Kennesaw State's Steve Janas has the third-best ERA at 0.81.
A-Sun Baseball Student-Athletes in Top-15 Nationally - Hitting:
Atlantic Sun Baseball Team in National Polls
||Warren Nolan RPI
A-Sun Baseball Student-Athletes in Top-15 Nationally - Pitching:
- Nick Backlund, Mercer - RBIs (63) - 5th; RBIs Per Game (1.19) - 9th; Total Home Runs (13) - 11th
- Mike Reeves, FGCU - Sacrifice Bunts (19) - 3rd; Sacrifice Bunts Per Game (.37) - 7th
- Sasha LaGarde, Mercer - Total Runs (59) - 6th; Runs Per Game (1.11) - 14th
- Alex Diaz, FGCU - Sacrifice Bunts Per Game (.36) - 9th; Sacrifice Bunts (16) - 13th
- Chesny Young, Mercer - Total Hits (87) - 2nd
- Sean Dwyer, FGCU - Sacrifice Flies (9) - 5th
- Patrick Mazeika, Stetson - On-Base Percentage (.504) - 11th
- Tyler Marincov, North Florida - Total Triples (6) - 14th
- Clinton Freeman, ETSU - Total Bases (127) - 14th
- Kerry Doane, ETSU - Complete Games (10) - 1st; Wins (11) - 3rd
- Brandon Lee, USC Upstate - Strikeout-to-Walk Ratio (8.63) - 5th; Walks Allowed Per 9 Innings (0.81) - 8th
- Steve Janas, Kennesaw State - ERA (0.81) - 3rd
- Brandon Barker, Mercer - Games Started (14) - 4th
- Kyle Westwood, North Florida - Strikeouts Per Nine Innings (10.73) - 14th
* Statistics are through games played on May 12th