Monday, February 17, 2014
MACON, Ga. - Kennesaw State's Max Pentecost and Jacksonville's Justin Russell corralled the Atlantic Sun Baseball opening weekly awards, announced Monday by the league office.
Pentecost posted three multi-hit games against Middle Tennessee State as the junior catcher tallied three doubles, two RBI and five runs scored. On the defensive side, Pentecost threw out two runners attempting to steal from behind the plate. He finished the week with a .615 batting average and .688 on-base percentage.
Russell hurled seven shutout inning against No. 19 TCU in Fort Worth, Texas on Sunday. The junior right-handed pitcher fanned four Horned Frogs with three coming in tight situations as TCU had runners in scoring position. The victory marked the first for the Dolphins against a ranked opponent since May 17th, 2011 against No. 4 Florida.
Atlantic Sun Baseball Player of the Week - Feb. 17th|
| Max Pentecost Kennesaw State
• Jr.; Catcher
• Winder, Ga.
||• First Career A-Sun Player of the Week
• Registered three multi-hit games against MTSU to start the season
• Tallied a double in every contests as KSU opened the year with a 2-1 mark
• Crossed the plate five times including a run in all three games
• Added two RBI in Sunday's finale 18-1 win with two walks
• Threw out two runners attempting to steal bases
• Compiled a .615 batting average, .688 on-base and .846 slugging
• Stats for the Week: 8-of-13, three 2Bs, 0 strikeouts
• Next KSU Contest: at Georgia; Tuesday, Feb. 18th
Nick Backlund, Mercer; Logan Spurlin, Northern Kentucky; Donnie Dewees, North Florida; Griffin Moore, Lipscomb; Zack Krider, USC Upstate; Michael Suchy, FGCU
Atlantic Sun Baseball Pitcher of the Week - Feb. 17th|
| Justin Russell Jacksonville
• Jr.; RHP
• Jacksonville, Fla.
||• First Career A-Sun Pitcher of the Week award
• Tossed seven shutout innings at No. 19 TCU on Sunday
• Fanned four Horned Frog batters, while allowing only three hits
• Three of four strikeouts ended inning with runners in scoring position
• First win for JU vs. Top-25 opponent since defeating No. 4 Florida on 5/17/11
• Marked first win for Head Coach Tim Montez
• Stats for the Week: 7.0 IP, Three Hits Allowed, Four K's
• Next JU Contest: hosts Florida State; Tuesday, Feb. 18th
Erin Nyquist, Mercer; Jake Shaw, Northern Kentucky; Sterling Koerner, FGCU