Friday, February 10, 2012
MACON, Ga. - Ten Atlantic Sun Men's Basketball contests are slated for play throughout the week, which includes two that can be seen on CSS or ESPN3. Kennesaw State hosts Mercer on Friday, Feb. 10th at 7 p.m. in the A-Sun/CSS Game of the Week, while Jacksonville travels to ETSU on Monday, Feb. 13th for a ESPN3 contest.
Atlantic Sun Men's Basketball Weekly Notes:
- At 40.7 PPG, Kennesaw State’s Markeith Cummings, Spencer Dixon and Delbert Love are the best scoring trio in the A-Sun. They rank ahead of Stetson’s Adam Pegg/Chris Perez/Aaron Graham (39.7), ETSU’s Adam Sollazzo/Isiah Brown/Tommy Hubbard (37.0).
- Owls junior Markeith Cummings has averaged 18.4 points per game in his five career appearances against Mercer, and has scored 23 or more on three occasions. He dropped 30 on the Bears to go along with nine rebounds in Macon on Feb. 15, 2011.
- With its next win, Mercer will clinch its fourth 20-win season in the past 33 seasons. The Bears last reached the win plateau in the 2002-03 season with 23 victories en route to the program’s only A-Sun regular-season title. In the 1984-85 season, Mercer won 22 games and captured the conference tournament title.
- During Mercer’s current eight-game win streak, the Bears are holding opponents to .226 percent (33-of-146) from three-point range. During conference play, Mercer’s opponents are shooting only .259 from behind the arc, which leads the A-Sun and is the lowest since the 2006-07 season.
- At 15 wins on the year, USC Upstate has tripled its win total from last season and increased its total by ten. The Spartans are second in the nation behind Manhattan’s improvement of 11. Since the 1993-94 season, the Spartans improvement is tied as the seventh-best behind Mercer (17; 2002-03), Jacksonville (14; 2006-07), FAU (12; 2001-02), Georgia State (12; 2000-01), UCF (11; 1993-94), Belmont (11, 2010-11) with four tied at 10.
- With 48 wins over the past two seasons, Belmont is tied for the ninth-best two year win total in A-Sun history. The Bruins need six more wins this season to tie College of Charleston (1995-97) for best two-year stretch in conference history at 54 wins. The Bruins already own three of the top-10 marks in A-Sun history.
- Belmont’s Mick Hedgepeth and ETSU’s Isiah Brown are both set to etch their names into the A-Sun record books for career field-goal percentages. Hedgepeth’s 54.9 career percentage currently ranks tied for 14th, while Brown’s percentage of 54.7 is 16th-best all-time. North Florida’s junior forward Andy Diaz would rank tied for 24th at 53.8.
- From behind the arc, Lipscomb’s Jordan Burgason will also land in the A-Sun record books for career three-point percentage. His 43.9 percent currently ranks 6th-best all-time. He also ranks 5th for career three’s made (282) and 11th for three-point attempts (642).
- With the A-Sun Championship only 19 days away, three teams can lock up tournament spots on Saturday. With USC Upstate’s next victory the Spartans will clinch their first birth in the basketball championship, while North Florida and FGCU can guarantee spots with a win coupled with a Jacksonville loss.
- Lipscomb’s Jordan Burgason is averaging 3.7 three-pointers made per game this season and is shooting .526 percent from behind the arc. If he continues with that production for the rest of the season, he will finish second and tied for first in the A-Sun single-season records books, respectively. The current marks are 3.82 three/game and .526.
A-Sun Active Career Points Leaders
||Markeith Cummings (Kennesaw State)
||Spencer Dixon (Kennesaw State)
||Ian Clark (Belmont)
||Jordan Burgason (Lipscomb)
||Mick Hedgepeth (Belmont)
||Isiah Brown (ETSU)
||Jerron Granberry (North Florida)
||Adam Sollazzo (ETSU)
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter
and become a fan on Facebook