Thursday, February 23, 2012
MACON, GA – Belmont University Men’s Basketball Head Coach Rick Byrd will be the next guest on the Atlantic Sun Insider segment on FOX Sports 1670 AM, Friday, February 24.
The Insider segment airs at approximately 8:30 a.m.
Rick Byrd is in his 26th season at Belmont University. He has compiled a 540-284 record during his tenure in Nashville and holds a career mark of 632-339 in this his 31st year. Byrd claimed his 600th career victory Jan. 30, 2011 vs. Stetson.
The 2008 and 2011 A-Sun Coach of the Year, Byrd has led his program to four NCAA Tournament appearances since 2006. He is the winningest active coach in the A-Sun and the state of Tennessee and ranks 10th on the career wins list among active Division-I head coaches.
OTHER BELMONT NOTES
• Belmont has represented the Atlantic Sun Conference in the NCAA Tournament four of the last six years. Belmont is one of only six programs in the country to earn four or more automatic bids to the NCAA Tournament since 2006 (Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Memphis, Winthrop).
• Belmont leads the nation with 158 conference victories (includes tournament) since 2003.
• Over its last eight games, Belmont is averaging 87.6 points per game on 52.0 percent shooting, with six players averaging double figure scoring.
• Belmont seniors Mick Hedgepeth and Scott Saunders were named Capital One Academic All-District for a second consecutive year. Saunders also recently received membership to the 2012 Capital One Academic All-America Division I Men’s Basketball Team for the second consecutive year. Hedgepeth is also a Lowe's Senior CLASS Award Finalist.
• In Atlantic Sun Conference games, Belmont is averaging a halftime lead of 12.8 points per game: 42.2 to 29.4.
BRUINS IN THE RANKINGS 2011-12
The Atlantic Sun Conference is partnering with the local Fox Sports 1670 AM as a part of its promotional efforts of men’s and women’s basketball leading up to the 2012 General Shale Atlantic Sun Basketball Championships, Feb. 29-March 3, at the University Center on the campus of Mercer University.
Included in the partnership, The Atlantic Sun Insider is a regular segment to highlight weekly A-Sun action on the Friday edition of “The Morning Show” with Daniel Shirley and Charles Olson. A schedule of radio spots will also run during the station’s local and syndicated shows, and additional coverage will include live broadcasts during the championships from the University Center on the station’s local afternoon show, “The Bill Shanks Show.”
The Atlantic Sun Conference is an NCAA Division I league with 10 member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The A-Sun meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement with a true balance between student and athlete. Headquartered in Macon, Ga., the A-Sun boasts six of the top eight media markets in the Southeast. The A-Sun includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: Belmont University, East Tennessee State University, Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Lipscomb University, Mercer University, University of North Florida, University of South Carolina Upstate and Stetson University. Northern Kentucky University will join the A-Sun as its newest member on July 1, 2012.