Wednesday, November 21, 2012
MACON, Ga. - Over the next week, three A-Sun games can be seen on ESPN3 with North Florida at Florida State (11/21), FGCU at St. John’s (11/24) and Lipscomb hosting Murray State (11/26). The UNF contest can also be seen on Fox Sports South.
In total, 17 games are scheduled for the next seven days.
A-Sun Men's Basketball Weekly Notes (#ASunMBB):
- Mercer dropped five spots in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Poll to No. 19. The Bears had been ranked 14th the previous two weeks.
- Kennesaw State’s Markeith Cummings owns 1693 career points - the most among active A-Sun student-athletes. His career point total ranks 17th all-time in the league record books. With 39 points this week, Cummings can move into 16th place.
- KSU’s Cummings set the Owls program record for career points against Towson. He eclipsed the previous mark of 1,683 points held by Herman Smith (1986-90).
- North Florida’s Parker Smith and Andy Diaz are next to the 1,000 point plateau with 934 and 930 career points with the Ospreys.
- Several A-Sun coaches are nearing win plateaus as Lipscomb’s Scott Sanderson needs four wins for 300 in his career and ETSU’s Murry Bartow is 18 away from the same mark. Mercer’s Bob Hoffman needs 11 more wins to reach 400.
- North Florida’s Parker Smith and Jerron Granberry are in the top-25 in the A-Sun record books for career three-pointers made. Smith is 24th with 203 trifectas just one ahead of Granberry in 25th with 202.
- Early in the season, ETSU’s Lester Wilson is leading the conference in scoring at 19.3 points per game. The freshman ranks ahead of Stetson’s Adam Pegg (18.3), Kennesaw State’s Markeith Cummings (18.0) and USC Upstate’s Torrey Craig (17.5).
- Lipscomb is leading the conference in rebounding through two weeks of play. The Bisons are averaging 40 rebounds per game and own the top rebounding margin over their opponents at 13. LU’s Khion Sankey lead the league in rebounds per game at 9.7
- FGCU’s Bernard Thompson and Eric McKnight swept the A-Sun weekly honors with Thompson taking Player of the Week and McKnight the Newcomer of the Week. It was the first time a team has swept the awards since Dec. 20th, 2011 when USC Upstate achieved the feat.
- FGCU’s Thompson set career-highs in the contest at No. 9 Duke. His 24 points and five steals were both career bests.
- After playing four contests from Nov. 14th-18th, Northern Kentucky is on a break as the Norse won’t play again until Dec. 1st at Ohio State.
- Jacksonville’s Russell Powell owns 267 career assists - only 10 behind Mercer’s Langston Hall for the most among active student-athletes in the A-Sun. Powell ranks third in the conference this season with 4.0 assists per game only trailing UNF’s Will Wilson (6.8) and FGCU’s Brett Comer (4.5).
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.