This Week in Atlantic Sun Men's Basketball: Dec. 13th
Thursday, December 13, 2012
MACON, Ga. - Sixteen Atlantic Sun men's basketball games are scheduled over the next seven days including five on television or ESPN3. Lipscomb at Kentucky (12/15) can be seen on Fox Sports Net and ESPN3, while USC Upstate’s Dec. 17th contest at Baylor will be on Fox Sports Southwest.
Kennesaw State at Notre Dame (12/19) will be an ESPN3 production, while Stetson at UCF (12/20) can be seen on CSS and Lipscomb’s game at Memphis the same day will be on Fox Sports South.
A-Sun Men's Basketball Weekly Notes (#ASunMBB):
- Over the past three seasons, three players stand out for their point production; Kennesaw State’s Markeith Cummings (1,175 points), USC Upstate’s Torrey Craig (1,163) and North Florida’s Parker Smith (1,021). For just the past two seasons, Craig leads the way with 732 ahead of Smith at 612.
- Mercer and ETSU own the most wins over the past four seasons by an A-Sun team with 63, while the Bears also have the most wins over the past three seasons (467) and two seasons (32).
- Six A-Sun teams remain unbeaten at home. FGCU’s 5-0 mark tops the charts ahead of Mercer (4-0), Jacksonville (2-0), North Florida (2-0) and USC Upstate (2-0). Northern Kentucky has yet to host a contest, but get its first chance on Jan. 5th when USC Upstate comes to The Bank of Kentucky Center.
- FGCU leads the A-Sun with six wins. Last season, the Eagles didn’t earn their sixth win until Jan. 4th against Kennesaw State. FGCU hosts FIU on Thursday, Dec. 13th.
- USC Upstate’s Torrey Craig, the A-Sun Player of the Week, and Adrian Rodgers are the top scoring duo in the A-Sun at a combined 30.4 points per game just ahead of FGCU’s Bernard Thompson and Sherwood Brown at 30.0 PPG.
- Lipscomb Head Coach Scott Sanderson needs only two wins for 300 in his career.
- Lipscomb’s Khion Sankey, the A-Sun Newcomer of the week, ranks in the top-five of the A-Sun for rebounding (8.1; 2nd) and assists (3.3; 5th) as a 6-5 junior guard. The last time an A-Sun student-athlete finished the season in the top-five for both categories was the 1996-97 season when FIU’s 6-8 junior forward, Quincey Gamble ranked second in rebounds (8.2) and fifth in assists (3.4).
- ETSU freshman Lester Wilson ranks second in scoring in the league at 18.7 PPG through seven games. It marks the highest total for a freshman since Mercer’s James Florence averaged 19.2 PPG in the 2006-07 season. Wilson ranks second among all NCAA freshman in scoring trailing only UNLV’s Anthony Bennett at 18.8 PPG.
- Only a sophomore, FGCU’s Brett Comer has already tallied five double-digit assist games, which is tied for second most over the past six seasons in the A-Sun. Comer currently ranks second in the A-Sun for assists per game (5.4) behind North Florida’s Will Wilson (5.7). Comer’s 232 assists over the past two season are the most in the A-Sun during that span.
- Jacksonville and Stetson are the only A-Sun teams to have four players average at least nine points per game. JU’s quartet consists of Jarvis Haywood (11.1), Keith McDougald (10.0), Dylan Fritsch (9.5), and Glenn Powell (9.0). The Hatters quartet of Adam Pegg (15.9), Aaron Graham (12.6), Chris Perez (12.1) and Joel Naburgs (11.9) give Stetson the only team with four players averaging double figure points.
A-Sun Career Points - Markeith Cummings
- 13. Mike Smith, ETSU (2006-11) - 1,783
- 14. Justin Hare, Belmont (2004-08) - 1,761
- 15. Scott Emerson, Mercer (1999-04) - 1,753
- 16. Markeith Cummings, KSU (2009-pres.) - 1,750
A-Sun Career Points - Jerron Granberry
- 114. Tony Bolds, Mercer (1981-84) - 1,085
- 115. Chris Collier, Georgia State (1989-91) - 1081
- 116. Lamont McIntosh, Ga. State (2000-04) - 1,074
- 117. Jerron Granberry, UNF (2009-pres.) - 1,071
A-Sun Career Points - Torrey Craig
- T88. Micah Williams, ETSU (2007-11) - 1,180 //
T88. Tarick Johnson, Campbell (2000-04) - 1,180
- 90. Shellord Pinkett, Georgia State (1994-98) - 1,176
- 91. Matthew Dotson, Belmont (2005-09) - 1,165
- 92. Torrey Craig, USC Upstate (2010-pres.) - 1,163
A-Sun Career Points - Parker Smith
- 128. Mario Lopez, Samford (1996-00) - 1026
- 129. Rodney Kirtz, Mercer (1997-01) - 1025
- 130. Steve Drabyn, Belmont (2001-04) - 1,022
- 131. Parker Smith, UNF (2010-pres.) - 1,021
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.