This Week in Atlantic Sun Men's Basketball: Jan. 4th
Friday, January 04, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Fourteen conference contests are slated for the next seven days including the Atlantic Sun openers for ETSU and USC Upstate.
Kennesaw State hosts Mercer in a Peach State rivalry on Saturday on ESPN3, while Northern Kentucky hosts Lipscomb on Jan. 11th in the first CSS Friday night showdown of the season.
A-Sun Men's Basketball Weekly Notes (#ASunMBB):
- A-Sun teams are 18-7 over the past three seasons in their home conference openers including a 3-1 record so far this season. FGCU, Stetson, Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky host their first conference games this weekend.
- Since the 2008-09 season, ETSU owns the most A-Sun wins with 53 just ahead of Jacksonville at 50 victories. The Buccaneers are tied with Mercer for most conference wins since the 2010-11 season with 26.
- Mercer is currently holding its opponents to 56.4 points/game, which would ranks as the third-best scoring defense in A-Sun history. The conference record is 55.4 PPG by College of Charleston during the 1997-98 season.
- With six steals, Jacksonville’s Russell Powell will join Mercer’s Langston Hall as the only active player in the A-Sun with 675 points, 300 assists and 100 steals.
- Mercer has started 2-0 in conference play in five of the last 11 seasons. However, the previous three times that the Bears were unbeaten through two A-Sun games they lost their third contest. Jacksonville is 2-0 in league play for the fourth time in the past six seasons.
- Lipscomb’s Stephen Hurt’s 30 point, 11 rebound effort against Jacksonville was the first 30 point, 10 rebound game in the A-Sun since the 2010-11 season when Mercer’s Brian Mills posted 30 points and 12 rebounds on Jan. 5th against USC Upstate. Former Bison Adnan Hodzic also achieved the feat that season on Nov. 18th with 33 points and 16 rebounds vs. Austin Peay.
- Northern Kentucky’s defense has been stout over the last four games as the Norse have held their opponents to 53 points or less in each contest. The Norse are holding their opponents to 16-of-68 (.235) from behind the arc in those four games down from 34-of-94 (.362) in their first six games of the season.
- USC Upstate is tied for the nation’s 14th longest home court winning streak at 12 games with Western Kentucky and Wyoming. The Spartans return to the Hodge Center on Jan. 10th for their conference home opener.
- If Kennesaw State’s Markeith Cummings stays on his current season scoring average of 16.9 PPG, he would reach the 2,000 career point plateau on Feb. 14th at ETSU. Cummings currently has 1,823 career points, he needs four points to move into 11th place all-time in the A-Sun.
- Four A-Sun teams remain unbeaten at home. FGCU’s 7-0 mark tops the charts ahead of Mercer (6-0) and USC Upstate (4-0). Northern Kentucky opens its home slate on Saturday with USC Upstate in town at the 9,400 seat The Bank of Kentucky Center.
- North Florida’s Parker Smith has hit 240 three pointers at North Florida, which is tied for 14th most in A-Sun history. Smith needs four trifectas to move into 11th place all-time.
- Jacksonville’s Glenn Powell leads the A-Sun in career rebounds with 588. He also ranks fourth this season with 7.6 RPG. Kennesaw State’s Aaron Anderson is right behind him with 581 boards and is averaging 7.7 RPG this year - good for third in the conference.
A-Sun Career Points - Markeith Cummings
- 10. Jeff Sanders, Georgia Southern (1986-89) - 1,861
- T11. Jonathan Pixley, Samford (1992-97) - 1,826
- T11. Kerry Blackshear, Stetson (1992-96) - 1,826
- 13. Markeith Cummings, KSU (2009-pres.) - 1,823
A-Sun Career Points - Jerron Granberry
- 115. Tony Bolds, Mercer (1981-84) - 1,085
- 116. Chris Collier, Georgia State (1989-91) - 1081
- 117. Lamont McIntosh, Ga. State (2000-04) - 1,074
- 118. Jerron Granberry, UNF (2009-pres.) - 1,071
A-Sun Career Points - Torrey Craig
- 70. Mark Brisker, Stetson (1990-92) - 1,236
- 71. Ayron Hardy, Jacksonville (2007-11) - 1,233
- 72. Ravii Givens, Stetson (1999-03) - 1,228
- 73. Torrey Craig, USC Upstate (2010-pres.) - 1,227
A-Sun Career Points - Parker Smith
- T108. Hank Washington, Southeastern La. (1991-93) - 1,113
- T108. Frank Ireland, Stetson (1987-91) - 1,113
- 109. Rembert Martin, Samford (1985-88) - 1,104
- 110. Parker Smith, UNF (2010-pres.) - 1,099
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.