Monday, January 07, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Monday night brings four Atlantic Sun Conference contests with USC Upstate at Lipscomb, ETSU at Northern Kentucky, North Florida at FGCU and Jacksonville at Stetson.
The Spartans are the last undefeated team in conference play at 1-0 after winning its opener at NKU and look for a 2-0 start against the Bisons at 5 PM CST. The Dolphins try to bounce back from a loss on Saturday at Stetson, where JU hasn't won since the 2009-10 season.
FGCU and North Florida both own 2-1 A-Sun records and tip at 7:30 PM. The Buccaneers and Norse are scheduled for 7:30 PM start time as NKU tries to avoid its first three-game home losing streak since the 1993-94 season.
All games can be viewed for free on ASun.TV. Fans can also follow along on Twitter by using the official hashtag of A-Sun Men's Basketball; #ASunMBB.
USC Upstate (7-7; 1-0) at Lipscomb (6-8; 1-2) - ASun.TV - 5 PM CST
• USC Upstate is the last undefeated team in A-Sun play. The past four years, the last team to lose an A-Sun game has advanced to the NCAA.
• Lipscomb's freshman Stephen Hurt leads the A-Sun in rebounding at 8.9 RPG. He is averaging 12.5 RPG in last six games.
• The Spartans Torrey Craig has 1,233 career points; t-71st most in A-Sun history. With 17 points vs. Lipscomb, he can move into 66th place.
• The Bisons Head Coach Scott Sanderson picked up his 300th career victory in the win vs. ETSU.
• Upstate's Ricardo Glenn has four double-doubles in his past five games. He is averaging 12 PPG and 10.6 RPG.
• Lipscomb is 6-4 all-time vs. USC Upstate since the Spartans joined the A-Sun. LU is 4-1 at home vs. Upstate.
Jacksonville (7-9; 2-1) at Stetson (4-10; 1-2) - ASun.TV - 5:15 PM
• Jacksonville's Glenn Powell needs eight rebounds for 600 in his career. He leads all active A-Sun players for career rebounds.
• Stetson has three scorers in the top-10 of the A-Sun; Adam Pegg (7th; 14.6), Chris Perez (8th; 14.2) and Aaron Graham (10th; 13.6)
• Jacksonville has won six of the last eight games vs. Stetson, but the Hatters own the last two meetings in DeLand.
• Stetson owns the second-best offense in the A-Sun at 69.9 PPG, but allow 76.4 PPG - tied for last in the conference.
• With six steals, JU's Russell Powell will join Mercer's Langston Hall as the only active player with 675 points, 300 assists and 100 steals.
• Stetson's Joel Naburgs needs 10 point for 800 in his career. Aaron Graham needs 20 for 750 career points.
ETSU (2-12; 0-1) at Northern Kentucky (3-8; 1-2) - ASun.TV - 7:30 PM
• Northern Kentucky owns the second-best defense in the A-Sun at 61.3 PPG.
• ETSU is led in scoring by Lester Wilson at 15.4 PPG. Wilson is averaging 11 PPG in his past five games.
• NKU has held its opponent's top scorer to eight points or less in its first three conference contests.
• The Bucs Jarvis Jones is averaging 13.4 PPG and 3.0 SPG in his seven games played this season.
• The Norse haven't lost three straight home games since the 1993-94 season.
• The last two seasons, ETSU has lost its conference opener but went on to double-digit conference win seasons.
North Florida (7-9; 2-1) at FGCU (10-6; 2-1) - ASun.TV - 7:30 PM
• North Florida's Parker Smith has hit 249 career three pointers, which is 11th most in A-Sun history.
• FGCU's Sherwood Brown needs nine points to reach 900 career points. He averages 14 PPG.
• North Florida's Travis Wallace is averaging 19.7 PPG in conference play; second most in the A-Sun.
• The Eagles own the top offense in the A-Sun by averaging 71.4 PPG.
• Smith's 3.94 three's made per game this season would rank as the highest in the A-Sun history. Campbell's Eric Smith holds the record at 3.82.
• FGCU has the best three-point field goal defense in the A-Sun. The Eagles hold their opponents to 28.1 percent from three.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.