This Week in Atlantic Sun Men's Basketball: Jan. 16th
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Nine conference contests are slated for the next seven days with ETSU at Mercer on ESPN3 on Thursday, while Lipscomb travels to FGCU for the CollegeInsider.com Thursday Night A-Sun Showcase.
Jacksonville faces crosstown rival North Florida on Friday in the CSS Friday Night contest.
A-Sun Men's Basketball Weekly Notes (#ASunMBB):
- FGCU and Mercer own the two longest home winning streaks in the A-Sun at nine and eight games, respectively. Both have two home games this week on Thursday and Saturday.
- Thursday’s ETSU-Mercer contest on ESPN3 features the two most successful A-Sun teams over the past three seasons as the Bucs own the most conference wins with 28 just ahead of Mercer at 27 victories. The Bears hold the advantage for overall wins over the same span with 52 compared to ETSU’s 45.
- During FGCU’s nine game home winning streak the Eagles are outscoring their opponents by an average of 12.3 points. Mercer is outscoring its opponents by 18.2 during its eight-game win streak.
- Thursday’s showdown between USC Upstate and Kennesaw State features the top-two scorers in the A-Sun with Torrey Craig (17.1 PPG) and Markeith Cummings (18.6). Cummings owns the most career points among active A-Sun players (1,901), while Craig is second (1,281).
- If Kennesaw State’s Markeith Cummings stays on his current season scoring average of 18.6 PPG, he would reach the 2,000 career point plateau on Feb. 7th at home vs. North Florida. He needs two points to move into 9th place all-time in the A-Sun.
- The Stetson-Northern Kentucky matchup brings a contrast of styles as the Hatters rank third in the A-Sun for offense at 70.4 PPG, while NKU holds its opponents to 59.7 PPG. The Hatters have scored at least 66 points in their last five games, while the Norse has held six of its last seven foes to 53 points or less.
- The top-two rebounding teams in the A-Sun square off on Thursday with Lipscomb (38.0 RPG) at FGCU (36.5 RPG). Both teams pull down 25.3 defensive rebounds per contest - tied for best in the A-Sun.
- Three A-Sun student-athletes have etched their names into the A-Sun record books for career blocks; USC Upstate’s Babatunde Olumuyiwa, Jacksonville’s Glenn Powell and Mercer’s Daniel Coursey. Olumuyiwa’s 121 blocks are 20th most in A-Sun history ahead of Powell (119; t21) and Course (113; t25).
- Kennesaw State and Jacksonville played in the A-Sun’s fourth triple-overtime contest in the last eight seasons with the Dolphins eventually winning, 99-92, on Jan. 10th.
- FGCU’s Sherwood Brown is 64 points away from 1,000 in his career. Brown is averaging 14.2 PPG this year.
- North Florida’s Parker Smith has hit 262 three pointers at North Florida, which is 8th most in A-Sun history. Smith needs 15 more three pointers to take over sixth place. He is averaging 4.0 threes made per game - the best average in A-Sun history.
- Jacksonville’s Glenn Powell leads the A-Sun in career rebounds with 617. He also ranks fourth this season with 7.5 RPG. He needs 86 more rebounds to crack the A-Sun record books for career boards.
- Mercer is currently holding its opponents to 39.8 percent shooting from the field. Last year, the Bears’ foes shot only 38.6 percent. Only one other time in conference history has a team held its opponents to below 40 percent shooting in two-straight seasons; College of Charleston (1993-95).
- North Florida owns the top-scoring duo in the A-Sun with Parker Smith (16.6) and Travis Wallace (15.2) combining to average 31.8 PPG. Stetson’s trio of Adam Pegg, Chris Perez and Aaron Graham leads all teams with a combined 43 PPG.
A-Sun Career Points - Markeith Cummings
- 7. Craig Beard, Samford (1982-85) - 1,985
- 8. Ben Smith, Jacksonville (2006-10) - 1,971
- 9. Steve Barker, Samford (1978-82) - 1,902
- 10. Markeith Cummings, KSU (2009-pres.) - 1,901
A-Sun Career Points - Jerron Granberry
- 115. Tony Bolds, Mercer (1981-84) - 1,085
- 116. Chris Collier, Georgia State (1989-91) - 1081
- 117. Lamont McIntosh, Ga. State (2000-04) - 1,074
- 118. Jerron Granberry, UNF (2009-pres.) - 1,071
A-Sun Career Points - Torrey Craig
- 56. Garrett Davis, Stetson (1995-99) - 1,302
- 57. Kevin Sheppard, Jacksonville (1999-03) - 1,290
- 58. Randy Anderson, Stetson (1986-89) - 1,285
- 59. Torrey Craig, USC Upstate (2010-pres.) - 1,281
A-Sun Career Points - Parker Smith
- 84. Kevin Tiggs, ETSU (2007-09) - 1,197
- 85. Thomas Terrell, Georgia State (2000-02) - 1,193
- 86. Mick Hedgepeth, Belmont (2008-12) - 1,191
- 87. Parker Smith, UNF (2010-pres.) - 1,190
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.