This Week in Atlantic Sun Men's Basketball: Jan. 23rd
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Six of the next 10 conference games can be seen on ESPN3 with USC Upstate and Lipscomb hosting a combined five over the next week.
Stetson at FGCU is the A-Sun/CSS Friday Night contest, while Mercer at Northern Kentucky is the CollegeInsider.com Thursday Night A-Sun Showcase game.
A-Sun Men's Basketball Weekly Notes (#ASunMBB):
- Mercer’s 10-game home winning streak is tied for 20th longest in the nation with Duke, Ole Miss and Virginia. The Bears are outscoring their opponents by 17.3 during the 10-game win streak.
- Stetson’s five-game winning streak is tied for the 23rd longest current streak in the nation with six other teams. It is the longest win streak for the Hatters since a nine-game win streak in the 2005-06 season.
- The Hatters defense has stepped up during the win streak as Stetson was allowing 76.4 PPG in the 14 prior games, but are allowing only 66.8 PPG during the win streak. Stetson is also taking care of the ball better as its turnovers have dropped from 16 per game to 12.2.
- USC Upstate hosts North Florida and Jacksonville this week in the Hodge Center where the Spartans have lost their first two conference games to start the year. The Spartans have never lost three-straight A-Sun home contests to open the A-Sun season since joining the league. In the 2008-09 season, Upstate started 0-2 at home, but won its third game with North Florida in town, 69-64.
- North Florida’s Parker Smith has hit 266 three pointers at North Florida - eighth most in A-Sun history. Smith has connected on a three-pointer in 27-straight games dating back to last season. In only three of those 27 games has Smith made only one three pointer.
- Three A-Sun student-athletes have etched their names into the A-Sun record books for career blocks; USC Upstate’s Babatunde Olumuyiwa, Jacksonville’s Glenn Powell and Mercer’s Daniel Coursey. Olumuyiwa and Powell are tied for 19th most in A-Sun history with 122 just ahead of Coursey (115; t24th).
- ETSU’s 29 conference wins over the past three seasons is tied with Mercer for most during that span just ahead of Jacksonville with 24. The Bucs’ 46 overall wins during the same time frame ranks second to Mercer’s 54 and ahead of North Florida’s 39 victories.
- Jacksonville’s Glenn Powell leads the A-Sun in career rebounds with 625. He is just ahead of Kennesaw State’s Aaron Anderson with 620. The duo needs to reach 703 career rebounds to land in the A-Sun career record books.
- FGCU’s Sherwood Brown, the A-Sun Player of the Week, is only 15 points away from 1,000 in his career. Brown is averaging 15.1 PPG this year and has led the Eagles in scoring in their past three games.
- Stetson and Jacksonville have already equaled or passed their win totals from last season. The Hatters equaled last year’s win total of nine with their last win vs. Lipscomb, while Jacksonville has two more wins than last year already. Kennesaw State and FGCU are only one and two wins away, respectively, from tying their win totals from last season.
- Lipscomb’s freshman Stephen Hurt continues to lead the A-Sun in rebounding at 8.2 RPG. The last time a freshman led the A-Sun in rebounding was the 2006-07 season.
- Mercer’s Langston Hall nearly recorded a triple-double against ETSU with 13 points, 10 assists and nine rebounds. The last triple-double in the A-Sun came from Lipscomb’s Josh Slater (10 points, 12 assists and 10 steals) against USC Upstate on Feb. 17th, 2011.
A-Sun Career Points - Markeith Cummings
- 6. Sam Mitchell, Mercer (1981-85) - 1,986
- 7. Craig Beard, Samford (1982-85) - 1,985
- 8. Ben Smith, Jacksonville (2006-10) - 1,971
- 9. Markeith Cummings, KSU (2009-pres.) - 1,921
A-Sun Career Points - Jerron Granberry
- 115. Tony Bolds, Mercer (1981-84) - 1,085
- 116. Chris Collier, Georgia State (1989-91) - 1081
- 117. Lamont McIntosh, Ga. State (2000-04) - 1,074
- 118. Jerron Granberry, UNF (2009-pres.) - 1,071
A-Sun Career Points - Torrey Craig
- 48. Myron Jackson, UALR (1982-86) - 1,371
- 49. Harvey Baker, Southeastern La. (1991-95) - 1,352
- 50. Anicet Lavodrama, Houston Baptist (1981-85) - 1,348
- 51. Torrey Craig, USC Upstate (2010-pres.) - 1,320
A-Sun Career Points - Parker Smith
- 76. Nate Williams, Georgia State (2001-04) - 1,222
- 77. Brad Traina, UCF (1995-99) - 1,218
- 78. Zavian Smith, Georgia State (1989-94) - 1,216
- 79. Parker Smith, UNF (2010-pres.) - 1,209
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.