Wednesday, January 30, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Three of the next nine conference games can be seen on ESPN3 with USC Upstate hosting Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky, while the A-Sun/CSS Friday Night contest between Mercer and Kennesaw State can also be viewed on ESPN3.
Stetson at Jacksonville is the A-Sun/CSS Friday Night contest in a battle of two-first place teams as half of the league is tied in first place at 6-3 in A-Sun play.
A-Sun Men's Basketball Weekly Notes (#ASunMBB):
- At the halfway point of the conference season, five teams are tied in first place at 6-3. If that trend continues it would be the first time in conference history five teams tied for the regular-season title. In the 2009-10 season, four teams finished tied at 14-6 for first place, while ETSU finished one game back at 13-7. The Buccaneers went on to win the A-Sun Championship and NCAA berth.
- USC Upstate, FGCU, ETSU and Stetson will be going for season series sweeps on Thursday as the Spartans and Bucs host Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky, respectively, after earning road wins earlier in the season. The Hatters and Eagles will have to win on the road at Jacksonville and North Florida for their season sweep.
- Mercer’s 10-game home winning streak is tied for 22nd longest in the nation with Akron and Butler. The Bears are outscoring their opponents by 17.3 during the 10-game win streak.
- Through the first half of A-Sun games, home teams are 28-17 in conference games with Mercer and Jacksonville both owning undefeated 4-0 records vs. league foes. Mercer and JU join Stetson, Lipscomb and ETSU with five home games remaining on their conference slates, while the remaining five teams only have four home games.
- Lipscomb’s Khion Sankey ranks fifth in the A-Sun in rebounding (7.0 RPG) and sixth in assists (3.5 APG). The last A-Sun player to rank in the top-five for both categories was FIU’s Quincey Gamble in the 1996-97 season by finishing second in rebounds (8.2) and fifth in assists (3.4).
- Northern Kentucky currently sits with four A-Sun wins. If the Norse win finish at 8-10 in league play in their first season it would tie for the second-best debut in the A-Sun since the 1993-94 season. ETSU owns the best debut over that span with 12 conference wins in the inaugural season of 2005-06.
- ETSU’s 30 conference wins over the past three seasons is tied with Mercer for most during that span just ahead of Jacksonville with 25. The Bucs’ 47 overall wins during the same time frame ranks second to Mercer’s 55 and ahead of Jacksonville’s 40 victories.
- North Florida’s Parker Smith has hit 274 three pointers at North Florida - eighth most in A-Sun history. Smith has connected on a three-pointer in 29-straight games dating back to last season. In only three of those 29 games has Smith made only one three pointer.
- Mercer features two of the top-three free-throw shooters in the conference with Langston Hall (87.7%) and Travis Smith (87.2%). The duo trail UNF’s Parker Smith at 88.7 percent. As a team, Mercer shoots 76.8 percent - good for fifth best in the nation.
- Stetson and Jacksonville have already equaled or passed their win totals from last season. The Hatters equaled last year’s win total of nine with their last win vs. Lipscomb, while Jacksonville has three more wins than last year already. Kennesaw State and FGCU are only one win away from tying their win totals from last season.
- Kennesaw State’s Aaron Anderson leads the A-Sun in career rebounds with 643 just ahead of Jacksonville’s Glenn Powell (636) and USC Upstate’s Torrey Craig (625). The trio needs to reach 703 career rebounds to land in the A-Sun career record books.
- Only 35 days remain until the tip of the 2013 General Shale Atlantic Sun Basketball Championships.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.