Thursday, February 07, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Nine conference games are scheduled for the next week of play with Northern Kentucky traveling to Lipscomb for the A-Sun/CSS Friday Night contest. Kennesaw State hosts North Florida in the CollegeInsider.com Thursday Night A-Sun Showcase.
A-Sun Men's Basketball Weekly Notes (#ASunMBB):
- Two teams in the A-Sun have current four-game winning streaks; FGCU and Northern Kentucky. FGCU is defeating its opponents by an average of 16.5 PPG during its win streak, while NKU’s margin of victory is 8.75 PPG.
- Mercer extended its home-winning streak to 11 games with a 66-42 victory vs. KSU on Friday. The Bears are 9-0 at home this season and are tied for the nation’s 20th longest winning streak with four other programs. The Bears are outscoring their opponents by 17.9 during the 11-game win streak.
- Northern Kentucky currently sits with six A-Sun wins. If the Norse win finish with nine wins in league play in their first season it would be the second-best debut in the A-Sun since the 1993-94 season. ETSU owns the best debut over that span with 12 conference wins in the inaugural season of 2005-06.
- In conference play, Northern Kentucky is 6-0 when scoring at least 60 points. When the Norse fail to reach 60 points in A-Sun play, they are 0-5.
- ETSU and Mercer are tied for the most conference wins over the past three seasons with 31. Over the past two seasons, the Bears and USC Upstate each have 20 A-Sun wins, which is tied for the lead.
- Mercer’s 56 overall wins over the last three seasons ranks ahead of ETSU (48) and FGCU (41).
- North Florida’s Parker Smith has hit 280 three pointers at North Florida - sixth most in A-Sun history. He needs seven three’s this week to move into fourth place all-time. The A-Sun record holder is Campbell’s Adam Fellers (1998-02) with 316.
- Smith has hit 94 three-pointers this season, which is already tied for 12th-best single-season mark in A-Sun history. The conference record is 107 held by three different individuals.
- USC Upstate’s Torrey Craig has 1,395 points in his career - good for 43rd in the A-Sun record books. He needs 20 points this week to move into the top-40 all-time. Craig averages 16.9 PPG this year.
- ETSU’s Jarvis Jones, the A-Sun Player of the Week, scored 36 points against Lipscomb in overtime to secure the Buccaneers victory. It marked the most points in the A-Sun since Feb. 20th, 2012. Jones is averaging 27 PPG in his last three contests, which leads all A-Sun student-athletes.
- FGCU has set the program’s Division I record for wins with 16 after earning a road sweep last weekend. The Eagles previously set the record last season with a 15-17 record.
- Three A-Sun student-athletes are on track to etch their names in the conference record books for best single-season free-throw percentage. North Florida’s Parker Smith leads the league at 89.9% just ahead of Mercer’s Langston Hall (88.1%) and Travis Smith (87.8%). The trio would rank second, fifth and sixth if the season ended today.
- North Florida’s Will Wilson and FGCU’s Brett Comer rank first and second in the league in assists/game at 6.6 and 6.1, respectively. Both are approaching the top-25 of the A-Sun record books for assists in a single-season. Wilson has 159 just ahead of Comer with 146. The duo need to reach 171 assists on the year to make the all-time list.
- Only 28 days remain until the tip of the 2013 General Shale Atlantic Sun Basketball Championships.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.