Wednesday, February 13, 2013
MACON, Ga. - With 21 days remaining until the 2013 General Shale Atlantic Sun Men’s Basketball Championship, FGCU sits atop the conference standings with Mercer right behind the Eagles.
Nine games are scheduled for the next week with five on ESPN3. UNF at JU is the A-Sun/CSS Friday Night contest, while Kennesaw State at ETSU is the CollegeInsider.com A-Sun Thursday Night Showcase.
A-Sun Men's Basketball Weekly Notes (#ASunMBB):
- FGCU owns a 13-1 record at home this season. The Eagles 13 home victories are tied for the second-most in the A-Sun over the past five seasons. Mercer went 15-2 last year at Hawkins Arena.
- The last team to post an undefeated record at home in the A-Sun was Belmont with a 12-0 record in 2011. Mercer owns an 11-0 record at home this season with two home contests remaining as well as the A-sun Championship at Hawkins Arena.
- FGCU’s six-game winning streak currently is tied for the nation’s 12th-longest tied with eight other programs. Mercer’s 13-game home winning streak is also the 14th-best in the nation.
- ETSU and Mercer are the top-two teams in conference play over the past three season as the Bears own 33 league wins during that span just ahead of the Bucs with 32. In overall wins, Mercer has 58 in the same stretch ahead of ETSU (49) and FGCU (43).
- Jacksonville has posted four more wins than last year’s Dolphin squad. The four-win improvement is tied for the 74th-best in A-Sun history. JU’s next win will move it into a tie for 59th-best.
- Stetson’s Adam Pegg and Chris Perez are the top scoring duo in the A-Sun at 30.9 PPG just ahead of North Florida’s Parker Smith and Travis Wallace at 30.8.
- In conference play, Northern Kentucky is 6-0 when scoring at least 60 points. When the Norse fail to reach 60 points in A-Sun play, they are 0-6.
- North Florida’s Parker Smith has hit 283 three pointers at North Florida - fifth most in A-Sun history. He needs four three’s this week to move into fourth place all-time. The A-Sun record holder is Campbell’s Adam Fellers (1998-02) with 316.
- Smith’s 97 three-pointers this season is tied for eighth-best single-season mark in A-Sun history. The conference record is 107 held by three different individuals.
- FGCU’s Brett Comer needs four assists this weekend to crack the A-Sun single-season record book for assists. UNF’s Will Wilson needs seven assists to accomplish the same feat.
- USC Upstate’s Babatunde Olumuyiwa has 127 career blocks, which is tied for 17th most in A-Sun history. He needs eight more to move into 16th place.
- Lipscomb’s Martin Smith is one 18 players in the A-Sun to have started every contest this season for their respective teams. Smith has been in the starting line-up for all 23 LU games.
- Kennesaw State’s Aaron Anderson has tallied 23 double-doubles in his career, which is 10th most in the A-Sun since the 1996-97 season. He has nine double-doubles this season, which also leads the A-Sun. Lipscomb’s Stephen Hurt is next with seven.
- Only 21 days remain until the tip of the 2013 General Shale Atlantic Sun Basketball Championships at Mercer’ Hawkins Arena.
- A close race is happening for the conference’s leading scorer as KSU’s Markeith Cummings currently leads at 17 PPG ahead of UNF’s Parker Smith and USC Upstate’s Torrey Craig with 16.5 PPG.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.