Thursday, February 28, 2013
MACON, Ga. - With six days remaining until the 2013 General Shale Atlantic Sun Men’s Basketball Championship, Mercer (13-3) leads the conference standings ahead of FGCU (11-5) and Stetson (10-6). Mercer faces both teams this weekend on the road starting with FGCU on Thursday in the CollegeInsider.com A-Sun Thursday Showcase.
Nine games remain in the regular season with USC Upstate at ETSU as the A-Sun/CSS Friday Night contest, while Lipscomb hosts Jacksonville, Thursday on ESPN3.
A-Sun Men's Basketball Weekly Notes (#ASunMBB):
- The 2013 General Shale Championship field has been set as Lipscomb locked up the final spot last Saturday. All seeds are up for grabs entering the final week of play.
- FGCU owns a 13-1 record at home this season. The Eagles 13 home victories are tied for the second-most in the A-Sun over the past five seasons. Mercer went 15-2 last year at Hawkins Arena.
- The last team to post an undefeated record at home in the A-Sun was Belmont with a 12-0 record in 2011. Mercer owns an 13-0 record at home this season and hosts the A-Sun Championship at Hawkins Arena.
- Mercer’s eight-game winning streak currently is tied for 10th longest in the nation with Houston Baptist. The Bears also own a 15-game home winning streak, which is tied for eighh with Virginia and Stephen F. Austin.
- The FGCU - Mercer showdown on Thursday features the top offensive team in the league with FGCU (73.3 PPG) and top defensive team; Mercer (57.0 PPG). In the first meeting on Jan. 2nd, the Bears won in overtime, 77-70.
- With a win vs. FGCU, Mercer can clinch the top seed in the General Shale Atlantic Sun Men’s Basketball Championship. The Bears have already locked up a share of the regular-season title - its first since the 2002-03 season.
- Jacksonville has posted six more wins than last year’s Dolphin squad. The six-win improvement is tied for the 40th-best in A-Sun history. With two wins this weekend, the Dolphins would move into a tie for 27th-best in conference history,.
- Stetson’s Adam Pegg and Chris Perez are the top scoring duo in the A-Sun at 31.0 PPG just ahead of North Florida’s Parker Smith and Travis Wallace at 30.7 and FGCU’s Sherwood Brown/Bernard Thompson (30.0).
- FGCU, Stetson and Lipscomb are the only teams in the A-Sun to have at least three players average 11.0 PPG. The Bisons nearly have four scorers with 11 PPG as Martin Smith averages 10.9.
- In conference play, Northern Kentucky is 7-0 when scoring at least 60 points. When the Norse fail to reach 60 points in A-Sun play, they are 0-9.
- North Florida’s Parker Smith has hit 293 three pointers at North Florida - fourth most in A-Sun history. He needs 10 to take over third place from Stetson’s Derrick DeWitt (1998-02) with 302. Smith’s 107 three-pointers this season is tied for the best single-season mark in A-Sun history with three other individuals.
- FGCU’s Brett Comer and North Florida’s Will Wilson have etched their names in the A-Sun single season record book for assists. Comer’s 189 assists is 12th most all-time, while Wilson’s 182 dimes rank 16th.
- Kennesaw State’s Aaron Anderson has 713 career rebounds, which ranks 25th most in A-Sun history. With 13 more rebounds this weekend, Anderson can move into 23rd place.
- FGCU’s Sherwood Brown is racking up steals this season as his 82 swipes is the 11th-best A-Sun single-season mark all-time. With six this weekend, Thompson would move into seventh place.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.