Friday, March 22, 2013
MACON, Ga. - No. 15 seed FGCU faces No. 2 Georgetown in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday at 6:50 on TBS. The Eagles enter with a 24-10 record after winning the 2013 General Shale Atlantic Sun Championship, while the Hoyas own a 25-6 record and posted a 14-4 mark vs. Big East opponents.
A-Sun Men's Basketball Weekly Notes (#ASunMBB):
- FGCU is 23-0 when holding its opponents to 76 points or less this season. When the Eagles’ opponent scores 77 points or more, FGCU’s record drops to 1-10. Georgetown averages 64.6 PPG.
- The Eagles’ 24 wins is a Division I program record; surpassing last year’s win total of 15, which was the previous record. FGCU’s win improvement of nine from the previous season is tied for 15th-best in A-Sun history.
- Bernard Thompson, the A-Sun Defensive Player of the Year, has 96 steals this season, which is the third-best single-season mark in A-Sun history. He needs one more to tie for second. Thompson’s 2.8 steals per game is the best in the conference this year and tied for 11th-best all-time.
- Brett Comer’s 213 assists this season is tied for seventh-best in conference history. With five assists vs. Georgetown, he will take over sixth place and can move into the top-five with six assists. His 6.3 assists per game is the best in the A-Sun this year and tied for 13th-best in A-Sun history.
- Sherwood Brown, the A-Sun Player of the Year, posted a double-double in the A-Sun Championship Final with 16 points and 11 rebounds. It marked his eighth career double-double, which is tied for fourth-most among active A-Sun players.
- FGCU became the first Florida member institution to claim the Men’s A-Sun Championship title since UCF in 2005. Teams from Tennessee captured the previous seven crowns - (ETSU; 2009 and 2010) / (Belmont; 2006-08, 2011-12).
- FGCU was the two-seed in the Atlantic Sun Men’s Basketball Championship. Two seeds have now won six of the last ten A-Sun Championship titles and eight overall.
- FGCU’s Sherwood Brown, the A-Sun Player of the Year, averages 15.3 PPG and 6.4 RPG. Brown has five double-doubles this season and seven 20+ point games. In the A-Sun Championship, Brown averaged 16 PPG and 8.3 RPG to earn all-tournament honors.
- Second Team All-Conference member, Chase Fieler owns the third-best field goal percentage in the conference this season at .565. Fieler averages 12.2 PPG. In the A-Sun Championship, Fieler averaged 16 PPG, 7 RPG and shot 53.3 percent from the field to join Brown on the all-tournament team.
- FGCU Head Coach Andy Enfield won the A-Sun title in only his second year with the Eagles.
- FGCU was the A-Sun Championship Runner-up in 2012, but became the first A-Sun team to return to the title game and win since 2004.
- The Eagles posted a 15-1 record at home this season, which is tied with Mercer for the most home victories in the conference over the past five seasons.
- The last win by an A-Sun member institution came in 2001 when #11 Georgia State defeated #6 Wisconsin, 50-49.
- This marks the second-straight season an A-Sun team has faced Georgetown in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament. Last year, the Hoyas defeated Belmont, 74-59 in Columbus.
- A FGCU win vs. Georgetown would be the institution’s second-ever NCAA Tournament win. Last year, the Eagles’ softball team defeated Florida in the opening game of the NCAA Regionals.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.