Saturday, March 23, 2013
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - No. 15 seed FGCU looks to continue its run in the NCAA Tournament as the Eagles face No. 7 San Diego State at 7:10 on TBS. FGCU earned the A-Sun's fourth win in the NCAA Tournament on Friday by defeating No. 2 Georgetown, 78-68, for the seventh win all-time for a 15-seed in the NCAA Tournament.
A-Sun Men's Basketball Weekly Notes (#ASunMBB):
- FGCU is 24-0 when holding its opponents to 76 points or less this season. When the Eagles’ opponent scores 77 points or more, FGCU’s record drops to 1-10. San Diego State averages 69.2 PPG.
- The Eagles’ 25 wins is a Division I program record; surpassing last year’s win total of 15, which was the previous record. FGCU’s win improvement of 10 from the previous season is tied for 11th-best in A-Sun history.
- Bernard Thompson, the A-Sun Defensive Player of the Year, has 97 steals this season, which is tied for the second-best single-season mark in A-Sun history. He needs seven more to tie for first. Thompson’s 2.8 steals per game is the best in the conference this year and tied for 11th-best all-time.
- Brett Comer’s 223 assists this season is tied for fifth-best in conference history. With six assists vs. San Diego State, he will move into a tie for third place all-time. His 6.4 assists per game is the best in the A-Sun this year and tied for 12th-best in A-Sun history.
- Sherwood Brown’s 24 points vs. Georgetown marked his eighth 20+ point game of the season, which ranks fourth-best in the A-Sun. In his past three games, Brown is averaging 19.3 PPG.
- FGCU became the fourth team in A-Sun history to win a NCAA Tournament game with its 78-68 win vs. Georgetown on Friday. The 10-point margin of victory is the largest in conference history. The last A-Sun win in the NCAA Tournament was 2001.
- FGCU’s upset as the 15-seed is the seventh victory vs. a two seed in NCAA history. The 10-point margin is the second largest for a 15 seed trailing only Coppin State’s 13-point win vs. South Carolina in 1997.
- A win vs. San Diego State in the third round would advance FGCU to the Sweet 16. They would be the first team in conference history to advance that far in the NCAA Tournament.
- For the third-straight season, two conferences teams earned postseason wins as FGCU’s triumph vs. Georgetown coupled with Mercer’s victory at Tennessee in the NIT. It also marks the fifth-straight postseason in which at least one A-Sun team won in a postseason tournament.
- A win vs. San Diego State would make FGCU the first 15-seed to advance to the Sweet 16 in the history of the NCAA Tournament. Fifteen seeds are 0-6 all-time in the Round of 32.
- The FGCU win vs. Georgetown was the institution’s second-ever NCAA Tournament win. Last year, the Eagles’ softball team defeated Florida in the opening game of the NCAA Regionals.
- Brett Comer posted a double-double with 12 points and 10 assists vs. Georgetown. It marked his first double-double of the season, third of his career, and his sixth double-digit assist game of the season. Comer’s 10 career double-digit assist games leads active A-Sun players.
- FGCU became the first Florida member institution to claim the Men’s A-Sun Championship title since UCF in 2005. Teams from Tennessee captured the previous seven crowns - (ETSU; 2009 and 2010) / (Belmont; 2006-08, 2011-12).
- Second Team All-Conference member, Chase Fieler owns the third-best field goal percentage in the conference this season at .562. Fieler averages 12.1 PPG. In the A-Sun Championship, Fieler averaged 16 PPG, 7 RPG and shot 53.3 percent from the field to join Brown and Comer on the all-tournament team.
- FGCU Head Coach Andy Enfield won the A-Sun title in only his second year with the Eagles.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.