Monday, December 09, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Lipscomb's Martin Smith and ETSU's A.J. Merriweather picked up the Atlantic Sun Men's Basketball weekly awards following their performances over the past seven days, announced Monday by the league office.
Smith averaged 21 points on the week, which included a 24-point effort against Tennessee Tech on a efficient 5-of-8 from the field and 10-of-12 from the charity stripe. The junior forward continued his week with 18 points and six rebounds at Murray State in a close loss to the Racers.
Merriweather shined on the road for ETSU as the freshman scored 18 points at Austin Peay and Georgia Tech, while averaging nine rebounds for the two contests. The Jackson, Tenn. native shot 62.5 percent from the field on the week as ETSU went 1-1 away from home.
Atlantic Sun Men's Basketball Player of the Week - Dec. 9th|
| Martin Smith Lipscomb
• Jr.; Forward
• Clarksville, Tenn.
||• First Career A-Sun Player of the Week award
• Tallied 24 points in Lipscomb's eight-point win vs. Tennessee Tech
• Shot 5-of-8 from the field with two three pointers
• Added three rebounds, three assists and two steals vs. TTU
• Registered 18 points, six rebounds in road game vs. Murray State
• Went 20-of-23 (87.0%) from free throws on the week
• Played 37 minutes in both contests for Lipscomb
• Stats for the Week: 21 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 47.4 FG%
• Next Lipscomb Contest: at Georgia; Saturday, December 14th
Daniel Coursey, Mercer; Torrey Craig, USC Upstate; Dallas Moore, North Florida
Atlantic Sun Men's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Dec. 9th|
| A.J. Merriweather ETSU
• Fr.; Guard
• Jackson, Tenn.
||• First Career A-Sun Newcomer of the Week award
• Posted back-to-back 18-point games in road contests
• Led ETSU to victory at Austin Peay with 18 points, 11 rebounds
• Added two steals, while shooting 8-of-11 (72.7%) from the field
• Continued week with 18 points, seven rebounds at Georgia Tech
• Dished out two assists; shot 7-of-13 (53.8%) from field goals
• Eight of 18 rebounds came on the offensive glass
• Stats for the Week: 18 PPG, 9 RPG, 62.5% FG
• Next ETSU Contest: hosts Tusculum; Monday, December 16th
Vince Martin, Jacksonville; Raymone Andrews, Stetson; Josh Williams, Lipscomb; Phillip Leonard, Mercer