Wednesday, December 11, 2013
MACON, Ga. - After a week-long break for semester exams, Atlantic Sun Men's Basketball returns with four weekend contests two each on Saturday and Sunday.
On Saturday, FGCU hosts Samford at 1 p.m. on ASun.TV as the Eagles look to snap a three-game slide, while Lipscomb hits the road at 3 p.m. ET to face the Georgia Bulldogs.
Two home contests on Sunday features Northern Kentucky hosting Chattanooga at noon on ASun.TV, while USC Upstate welcomes UNC Asheville at 3 pm. on ESPN3.
#ASunMBB Tweetables (#ASunMBB):
- Over the past three games, Lipscomb's Martin Smith is averaging a league-best 19.3 PPG. Smith picked up the A-Sun Player of the Week on Monday.
- Stetson's Willie Green owns the highest scoring average in home games this season at 24 PPG ahead of Lipscomb's Martin Smith (17.7) and USC Upstate's Torrey Craig (17.5).
- In road contests, Craig posts a league-best 19 PPG in front of Jacksonville's Jarvis Haywood (17.5) and Mercer's Langston Hall (17.2).
- All ten #ASunMBB teams should be well rested for their next contests as all 10 teams will have a full week off from their last games. Kennesaw State leads the way with a 15-day break in between contests.
- A-Sun Newcomer of the Week, ETSU's A.J. Merriweather currently leads A-Sun in rebounding at 7.4 RPG. The last time a freshman led the league in rebounding was the 2006-07 season.
- Northern Kentucky is hitting the most three-pointers in the A-Sun as the Norse are averaging eight made three’s per game. However, NKU has the league’s sixth-best three-point field goal percentage at 32.3 (64-of-198).
- Ten of the next 11 A-Sun games are set for broadcast including four on the ESPN family of networks with FGCU’s game at USF on Tuesday, Dec 17th scheduled on ESPNU.
- ETSU Head Coach Murry Bartow sits only four wins away from 300 in his career. Bartow has captured 192 of his career wins with ETSU.
- Mercer has 57 wins since the start of the 2011-12 season, which is tied for 31st among NCAA D-I teams over that span. The Bears rank ahead of Butler, Cincinnati, Georgetown and NC State among numerous others.
- The Bears are also one of 36 NCAA teams to win at least 24 games in each of the last two seasons.
- USC Upstate's Torrey Craig is averaging 18.1 PPG this season. With 22 games remaining in the regular season he should finish the year with 2,120 career points; good for fourth most in A-Sun history.
- By the same projections, FGCU's Brett Comer (5.9 APG) and Mercer's Langston Hall (5.2 APG) will finish the regular season with 604 and 593 career assists, which would rank second and fourth in A-Sun history.
- Nine active Atlantic Sun student-athletes are within 200 points from reaching 1,000 in their career. In A-Sun history, 148 players have reached the career milestone.
- FGCU's Bernard Thompson is closest with 977 career points ahead of Mercer’s Jake Gollon (961), FGCU’s Chase Fieler (934), Upstate's Ty Greene (933) and North Florida's Travis Wallace (931).
- UNF is the top three-point shooting team in the A-Sun as UNF connects on 36.0 percent of their attempts (77-of-214). Dallas Moore ranks second in the A-Sun at 50 percent (16-of-32).
- Lipscomb twin brothers Martin and Malcolm Smith rank 2nd and 10th in the A-Sun for scoring at 16.4 and 13.2 PPG, respectively.
- The twin tandem ranks second among A-Sun scoring duos behind USC Upstate's Torrey Craig/Ty Greene (32.5 PPG) and ahead of FGCU's Chase Fieler/Bernard Thompson (27.8).
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.