Wednesday, February 05, 2014
MACON, Ga. - Over halfway complete with the 2013-14 Atlantic Sun Men's Basketball season and Mercer (9-2) and FGCU (8-2) sit in first and second in the A-Sun, while a large pack of teams are fighting for positioning behind them.
USC Upstate and Lipscomb tangle on Thursday in Nashville as the Spartans just completed a four-game homestand undefeated, while the Bisons earned a road sweep of the River City tandem of North Florida and Jacksonville for the first time since the 2005-06 season. In the A-Sun CollegeInsider Thursday Showcase, Northern Kentucky hosts ETSU as the Norse hope to snap a three-game losing streak.
Stetson welcomes North Florida to the Edmunds Center, where Willie Green has been unstoppable this season, as the Ospreys hope to remain above .500 in league play. FGCU earns a rematch with Jacksonville after the Dolphins defeated the Eagles, 76-69, on Jan. 11th.
Mercer travels to Kennesaw State on Friday for the A-Sun/CSS Friday Night game at 7 p.m. Earlier this season, the Bears dispatched the Owls with a 83-46 victory in Macon, but KSU defeated Mercer last season in Kennesaw, 83-75, behind 32 points from Delbert Love.
#ASunMBB Tweetables (#ASunMBB):
- USC Upstate and Lipscomb own the two longest win streak among A-Sun teams at four and three, respectively, heading into Thursday’s showdown in Nashville. The Spartans have won the last five games against the Bisons including a 84-70 victory in Spartanburg on Jan. 11th this year.
- A different player has led ETSU in scoring in each of the last four games; Lester Wilson, Rashawn Rembert, Kinard Gadsden-Gilliard and Hunter Harris. The Buccaneers have six players that average at least 8.5 PPG; most in the A-Sun
- Northern Kentucky is averaging 74.7 PPG in its last four contests up from its season average of 66.7 PPG in the Norse first 19 games. Unfortunately, NKU is only 1-3 in its past four games as the Norse are also allowing 76.5 PPG in those four games.
- Stetson Willie Green continue to perform best in home games as his 19.4 PPG average at the Edmunds Center is the best in the A-Sun. In road games this season, Green is averaging 11.1 PPG compared to his season average of 14.2.
- Jacksonville Jarvis Haywood and Keith McDougald continue to lead the conference in scoring for league-only games. Haywood is averaging 18.1 PPG in A-Sun games just ahead of McDougald at 16.7.
- North Florida Beau Beech is nearly automatic from the charity stripe as his 87.7 percentage from free throws leads the A-Sun and currently sits as the seventh-best in conference history. In A-Sun games, Beech has been even better at 91.7% (22-of-24).
- FGCU Brett Comer can move into sixth place for career assists in A-Sun history with five assists vs. Jacksonville on Thursday. He would pass Mercer’s Elston Harris (1982-86) who sits with 541 career assists.
- A-Sun teams own a 74-31 record in home games so far this season; good for a winning percentage of 70.4. Last season, A-Sun teams combined for a 84-47 home record (64.1%).
- Upstate's Torrey Craig and Ricardo Glenn are the first teammates in A-Sun history to each have 800 career rebounds at the same time. Craig’s 879 career rebounds ranks ninth all-time, while Glenn’s 827 boards are 11th most.
- Mercer's Langston Hall is only 42 assists from setting the A-Sun career record for assists. Hall can pass Houston Baptist’s Fred Goporo (1984-87) for third place with 11 assists vs. Kennesaw State.
- The Spartans Torrey Craig needs 25 points this weekend to pass Jacksonville's Ben Smith (2006-10) for ninth place in A-Sun history for career points. Craig could take over seventh place if he totals 40 points this week; he currently sits with 1,947 points.
- Eleven current A-Sun student-athletes have reached 1,000 career points; nine of which have accomplished the feat this season. Mercer’s Bud Thomas (973) and FGCU’s Brett Comer (876) are on track to reach the point plateau by the end of the season.
- With 69 wins over the past three seasons, Mercer ranks 24th in the nation tied with Missouri, Cincinnati and Ohio. The Bears’ 18 wins this season are tied for 13th most in the NCAA.
- FGCU can clinch a spot in the 2014 A-Sun Championship with a win vs. Jacksonville on Thursday. Mercer has already locked up the first spot to the conference tournament.
- Several teams stand within striking distance of the No. 3 spot in the A-Sun Championship as USC Upstate (6-4) currently holds the spot ahead of UNF (6-5), ETSU (5-5) with Lipscomb and Jacksonville tied at 5-6.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.