Thursday, March 28, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Three men’s golf teams are in action this week as the A-Sun Championship is now just a little over three weeks away, April 21-23, at Chateau Elan in Braselton, Ga. Stetson and FGCU stay in-state and join the field at the FAU Spring Break Championship, while Jacksonville heads north to the Keith Hills Spring Invitational in Buies Creek, N.C.
• Defending A-Sun Champion North Florida continues to lead the A-Sun in the team and individual rankings, as the Ospreys check in at No. 16 and No. 17 in the latest GolfWeek and Golfstat team rankings, respectively. Additionally, four A-Sun men’s golfers are listed in the Top 100 individual rankings. The Ospreys have finished in the top three of their last four tournaments, including a win at the John Hayt Collegiate Invitational.After sitting out the fall season, Sean Dale has returned on fire, placing in the top five of three of his four spring tournaments and finishing no worse than 15th.
Top-100 Individual Rankings
• Sean Dale, North Florida (3rd GolfWeek, 4th Golfstat)
• Kevin Phelan, North Florida (18th GolfWeek, 29th Golfstat)
• MJ Maguire, North Florida (33rd GolfWeek, 26th Golfstat)
• Jimmy Beck, Kennesaw State (75th GolfWeek)
• Kennesaw State, Mercer, Jacksonville and Northern Kentucky also made upward moves in both rankings. Kennesaw State’s second-place finish at the Linger Longer Invitational gave them a big boost this week, as the Owls made the biggest move rising nine spots in both the GolfWeek and Golfstat rankings. Austin Vick earned A-Sun Men’s Golfer of the Week honors with his fifth-place finish in the tournament, leading the Owls and helping them finish above several Top-15 teams. Three other Owls finished in the event’s top 25, including Peder Hermansson (T/17th), Jimmy Beck (T/21st) and Jonathan Klotz (T/23rd).
• The Bears have finished sixth in their last three tournaments, including the Linger Longer, in which John Gregory Joseph and Trey Rule led Mercer by finishing in a tie at 17th.
• Northern Kentucky was also a close second to KSU in its rise in the rankings. The Norse finished among the top 10 teams in their field for the third consecutive week, finishing sixth in the 15-team field at the Jim Bishop Toyota Classic.
• Jacksonville moved up in both rankings this week and heads to Buies Creek, N.C., for the Keith Hills Spring Invitational, April 1-2. This is the last tournament for the Dolphins prior to the A-Sun Championship, April 21-23, and they look to rebound from their performance at the Linger Longer Invitational last week, where they finished 12th of 14. Freshman Cyril Suk has a pair of Top-10 finishes to lead JU. Additionally, the Dolphins have posted two of the top four scores in two-round tournaments and one of the top three three-round totals this season.
• Stetson and FGCU stay close to home to tee it up in the FAU Spring Break Championship, March 29-31 at The Fountains Country Club in Lake Worth, FL. The 16-team field also includes: Bethune-Cookman, Connecticut, Depaul, FGCU, Hartford, Jacksonville State, Loyola (Chicago), Marshall, McNeese State, Miami (Ohio), Morehead State, Murray State, Northern Illinois, Stetson and UCF.
• FGCU finished tied for sixth in last year’s FAU event and the Eagles’ Brandon Pena placed in a tie for seventh. FGCU has the top three-round total of the season in the A-Sun, posting 837 in its win at the Cobra/Puma Invitational, Sept. 30 - Oct. 1. Edward Figueroa and Matt Cote lead the Eagles, as Figueroa has a win and four Top-25 finishes while Cote has added two Top-10s to help the Eagles’ cause.
• Stetson has placed in the top five of a tournament once in the spring and looks to rebound from its 15th of 18 finish at the Mission Inn Spectacular a couple of weeks ago. Freshman Dustin Dingus has seven Top-15 finishes and Andrew Peterson, who recorded a fifth-place finish at the Gary Freeman Invitational, lead the Hatters.