Wednesday, May 15, 2013
MACON, Ga. - A-Sun Men's Golf Champion North Florida, A-Sun Freshman of the Year Edward Figueroa from FGCU and Mercer's Hans Reimers and Trey Rule will tee it up in Tallahassee, Fla., while Kennesaw State will compete in Tempe, Ariz., in 2013 NCAA Men's Golf Regional action beginning Thursday, May 16.
North Florida is the No. 4 seed in the NCAA Tallahassee Regional, which is being played at the Golden Eagle Golf and Country Club. It is the fourth consecutive trip to the NCAA Regionals for the Ospreys, who finished third in the Southeastern Regional in Athens, Ga., last season and advanced to finish tied for 12th in the NCAA Championship. The Ospreys also advanced to the championship round in 2010, finishing 14th.
Kennesaw State makes its third consecutive trip to an NCAA Regional, as the Owls finished ninth in last year's Central Regional in Ann Arbor, Mich. KSU finished third in 2011 to advance to the NCAA Championship, finishing 26th in the 2011 championship round in Stillwater, Okla.
Individually, three student-athletes will compete in regional competition, all in the Tallahassee Regional. A-Sun Freshman of the Year and second-team All-Conference selection Edward Figueroa is the second FGCU player to advance to regional play. Figueroa looks to continue a very successful season in which he recorded four top 10 and six top 20 finishes and served as the low man for the Eagles in six of the nine events in which he played. Figueroa also etched his name into the FGCU record books with the best 54-hole score in program history, firing 70-66-64/200 at the Cobra/PUMA Invitational to equal the lowest round in FGCU history in only his third collegiate event.
For the second straight year Mercer also has representation in a NCAA Regional. In fact, a pair of Bears will be prowling around the course in Tallahasse this week, including A-Sun All-Conference first team appointment Hans Reimers and second-team All-Conference selection Trey Rule. Reimers led the team this season with a 73.5 scoring average and posted four top-five finishes in the spring. He shot under par seven times, including a pair of 68s at the USF Invitational and the Seminole Intercollegiate. Reimers this week also fired an even-par 72 in Tuesday’s local qualifier for the U.S. Open at the Atlanta National Golf Club, advancing to the sectional qualifier to be held at Hawks Ridge Golf Club in Ball Ground, Georgia on June 3.
Rule came away with A-Sun All-Conference second team honors after competing in nine events with a 74.1 scoring average. His season included four top-20 finishes and four sub-par rounds, including a collegiate-best 68 in the final round of the Irish Creek Collegiate.
#ASunMGolf Quick Notes
• An A-Sun team has advanced out of regional play to participate in the NCAA Championship in eight of the last nine years.
• Additionally, three of the four Top-5 finishes in NCAA Regional play have come in the last five years, two recorded by UNF (3rd - 2012, 4th - 2010) and one by KSU (3rd - 2011).
• An A-Sun team has also finished in the top six of a regional in four of the last six years.
• The third-place finishes by UNF and KSU last season in the Southeastern and Central Regionals were the top performances all-time by an A-Sun team in NCAA Regionals.
• Kennesaw and UNF are in the NCAA Regionals for the third and fourth consecutive years, respectively. UNF has appeared in a total of five NCAA Regionals and advanced to the NCAA Championship twice (2012, 2010).
• North Florida is 4-6 against teams in the field in the Tallahassee Regional: 1-2 vs. Georgia Tech, 0-2 vs. FSU, 1-0 vs. Oklahoma, 0-2 vs. Wake Forest and 2-0 vs. USF.
• Kennesaw State is 4-7 against teams in the field in the Tempe Regional: 1-2 vs. Georgia, 0-1 vs. Clemson, 0-1 vs. UCF, 2-1 vs. North Carolina, 0-1 vs. Arizona State, 0-1 vs. Arizona and 1-0 vs. New Mexico State.
• North Florida fired a first-round of 271 in the 2012 Southeastern Regional to set the A-Sun Championship single-round low and low for a first-round score in NCAA Championship Play.
• UNF has two of the top eight three-round totals in A-Sun Championship history (858, 859). The Ospreys’ best total came last year (858) as they finished third in the Southeastern Regional in Athens, Ga.
• A-Sun Freshman of the Year Edward Figueroa is the second Eagle to play as an individual in the NCAA Regionals. Last year Brandon Pena also competed in the 2012 Southeastern Regional, finishing tied for 26th (218).
• Kennesaw State’s Jeff Karlsson has the best total by an A-Sun player in the NCAA Regionals, firing a 218 to finish eighth in the 2010 Southeast Regional. Karlsson’s is also the only Top-10 finish in individual play.
• A pair of Mercer Bears also have two of the top five performances in regional action, as Bill Jones III shot a 214 in the 2009 Southeast Regional and James Beale carded a 218 to tie for fifth best with Pena in last year’s Southeastern Regional.
• North Florida has the third-lowest three-round total by an A-Sun team in the NCAA Championship, recording an 878 in last year’s championship to finish in a tie for 12th.
• North Florida’s tie for 12th in last year’s National Championship competition is the best by an A-Sun team since the 2004 Georgia State Panthers finished in a tie for 11th. The Ospreys scored 878 to finish 12th, while the Panthers shot 1161 to tie for 11th.
• UNF has three players ranked in the Top-40 of the latest GolfWeek rankings: No. 9 Sean Dale, No. 25 MJ Maguire, and No. 37 Kevin Phelan. Only three teams have as many or more players in the Top 40: No. 1 California (5), No. 2 Alabama (4) and No. 4 UCLA (3).
Read the entire #ASunMGolf NCAA Regional Release here.