Friday, February 01, 2013
MACON, Ga. - There are just two weekends of competition left before Atlantic Sun Men’s Indoor Track and Field squads will gather in Johnson City, Tenn. to compete for the A-Sun title.
This week indoor teams will be heading to four different meets with USC Upstate and ETSU at the Hilton Garden Inn Invitational, Kennesaw State at the New Balance Collegiate Invitational, Northern Kentucky at the Cedarville Collegiate Indoor and Lipscomb at the TSU Invitational.
A-Sun Men's Track & Field Notes (#ASunTF):
- The Owls currently rank the highest of the A-Sun squads at No.15 in the South Region of the U.S.
Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Poll.
- Kennesaw State’s Andre Dorsey collected a KSU indoor record in the triple jump with his first
place leap of 15.68 meters. The jump is the best in the 2013 A-Sun season and is the 16th best
jump in the event of the active athletes in the country.
- The Buccaneer’s Phillip Jalovy has won weekly A-Sun honors twice this season and has made
the podium three times this season. Jalovy’s time of 8:34.07 in the 3000m at the UAB Invitational
is currently the fastest time this season in the A-Sun. In his last meet at the Niswonger Invitational
he finished first in the mile run (4:14.98) and the 800m (1:54.66).
- In the Bisons last meet at the Niswonger Invitational, Tucker Peabody collected first place in the
200m, beating out US Olympian Manteo Mitchell in a photo finish.
- The Osprey’s David Shepherd has back-to-back first-place finishes in pole vault at the A-Sun
Indoor Championship. Shepherd has already marked the top vaults in the 2013 season with
heights of 4.90m at the Florida Gator Invite and 4.85m at the Jimmy Carnes College Invitational.
- NKU’s J.J. Webber was awarded track athlete of the week after he crossed the line first in the
5000m run at the SPIRE Midwest Open with a time of 14:50.70. Webber’s time marked a freshman
record for the Norse and marked the second fastest time in the 5000m in the A-Sun this season.
- USC Upstate’s Kenny Sugishita is the defending A-Sun Indoor Champion in the shot put and the
weight throw. In the Spartan’s last meet at the Niswonger Invitational Sugishita claimed second
place in the shot put with a heave of 15.40m. The toss is the best in the A-Sun this season.
- UNF has the most top recorded marks in the A-Sun this season with five total followed by
KSU with four.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.