Wednesday, February 13, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Kennesaw State's Bilal Abdullah and ETSU's Jason Johnson captured Atlantic Sun Men's Indoor Track and Field Weekly honors as announced by the league on Wednesday.
Abdullah had a dominating performance in the heptathlon at the Samford Invite, while Johnson landed second place in the triple jump at the Tiger Paw Invite.
TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Bilal Abdullah, Kennesaw State
(Fr. – Combined – Gwinnett, Ga. – Computer Science)
- First Career Indoor Track Athlete of the Week award
- Placed first in the indoor heptathlon at the Samford Invite
- Set a school record in the event in overall points (4,980), long jump (7.14m) and the high jump (2.00m) portions
- Finished first in the long jump portion of the heptathlon
- Marked second-place finishes in the 60m dash (7.04), 60m hurdles (8.54) and high jump
FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Jason Johnson, ETSU
- Rashad Campbell (So., ETSU) – Landed two second-place finishes, one in the 200m (22.15) and one in the 60m (6.86)
- Cameron Thomas (Sr., USC Upstate) – Took second-place honors in the 800m with a time of 1:52.94
- J.J. Webber (Fr., Northern Kentucky) – Placed 3rd in the 3000m and set a personal best in the event with a 8:34.40 finish
- Jake Menan (So., North Florida) – Broke two school records at Samford Invitational, 200m (22.25) and 400m (49.30)
(Sr. – Jumps – Philadelphia, Pa. – Exercise Science)
- First Career Indoor Field Athlete of the Week award
- Claimed second place at the Tiger Paw Invite in the triple jump
- Leap of 14.90m marks the second best jump in the A-Sun this season
- Johnson is the returning A-Sun Triple Jump Champion
- Kenny Sugishita (Sr., USC Upstate) – Claimed third place in the shot put at Clemson's Tiger Paw Invitational with a toss of 14.86m
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.