Wednesday, March 06, 2013
MACON, Ga. - A pair of ETSU Track and Field athletes were awarded Atlantic Sun Weekly Honors on Wednesday afternoon.
Filip Jalovy crossed the line second in the 800m at the Virginia Tech Final Qualifier, while teammate Tyler Stepp crushed a personal best in the long jump.
TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Filip Jalovy, ETSU
(So. – Distance – Modrice, Czech Republic – Sport Management)
FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Tyler Stepp, ETSU
- Third Career Track Athlete of the Week award
- In the Virginia Tech Final Qualifier, finished No. 2 in the 800m
- Crossed the line in 1:54.17
- The Sophomore's time is the just shy of his season best of 1:52.99 that ranks fourth in the A-Sun.
(Jr. – Jumps – Dandridge, Tenn. – Interdisciplinary Studies)
- First Career Field Athlete of the Week award
- Landed a big personal record in the long jump with a leap of 7.61m at the Virginia Tech Final Qualifier
- Beat previous best jump of 7.51m
- Jump put Stepp within inches of the NCAA's top 16, which qualify for the NCAA Indoor Championships (7.68m)
- Houston Ward (So., Lipscomb) – Had two second place finishes to open the outdoor season at the UNF Spring Break Invite
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.