Thursday, September 20, 2012
MACON, Ga. - Seven games are schedule over the next seven days against 2011 NCAA Tournament teams including three against Furman and also UAB, UCF, USF and Western Illinois. USC Upstate, North Florida and ETSU all face Furman.
Lipscomb travels to UAB, Northern Kentucky goes to Western Illinois and FGCU faces UCF and USF. FGCU gets a rematch with UCF, who defeated the Eagles 1-0 in double overtime in last year’s tournament. FGCU defeated UCF in the regular season 2-1 in Orlando last season.
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- Mercer’s extended its unbeaten streak to five matches (4-0-1) with a 2-0 win against Georgia State on Sunday. The Bears now travel to face Central Arkansas (5-1) on Saturday before returning to Macon for a match against UNC Asheville (1-6) on Wednesday.
- Mercer’s five-match unbeaten streak is the longest in the A-Sun since last season when Stetson ended the year on a 10-game unbeaten streak (7-0-3). Jacksonville also posted a seven-match unbeaten streak (6-0-1).
- Mercer’s sophomore goalkeeper, Greg Ranjitsingh - the A-Sun Defensive Player of the Week - posted two shutouts last week vs. Georgia Southern and Georgia State. Ranjitsingh has not allowed a goal in the past 315 minutes dating back to Mercer’s tie with Hartwick on Sept. 2nd. It is the second-longest run in the A-Sun this season trailing only USC Upstate’s Dani Alvarado from Aug. 24 - Sept. 10 with a span of 325 minutes.
- Ranjitsingh and Stetson’s Andreas Schnabl own 11 career shutouts - tied for 10th most in A-Sun history. Their next shutout will move them into a tie for seventh. ETSU’s Ryan Coulter is tied for 15th most with 10 career shutouts.
- For the third-straight week, FGCU and ETSU appeared in the NSCAA South Region Rankings. The Eagles moved into a tie for 5th, while ETSU remained at No. 8 in a tie with Appalachian State.
- ETSU’s David Geno took over the A-Sun points lead again with a goal in each of ETSU’s last games; at Davidson and at Kentucky. Geno’s 11 points on five goals and one assist gives him a slight cushion over Mercer’s Will Betts (8P - 4G), Mercer’s Joey Heavner (7P - 1G, 5A) and Lipscomb’s Ethan Summers (7P - 3G, 1A).
- Stetson returns to action after a two-week layoff with FIU on Saturday and FAU on Wednesday. The Hatters last played on Sept. 7th in a 2-0 win against Jacksonville.
- The Hatters’ Luis Ocejo joined FGCU’s Deion Jones as nominees for the Senior CLASS Award, announced on Tuesday. Ocejo sports a 3.8 GPA as a Finance major, while Jones holds a 3.42 GPA as a Biology and Environmental Studies major. Last season, FGCU goalkeeper Adam Glick was named a First Team Senior CLASS Member.
- Four A-Sun teams are undefeated at home this season; ETSU (3-0), Mercer (2-0), Stetson (1-0) and USC Upstate (1-0). Northern Kentucky has not yet played at home as the Norse’s first home match is Oct. 4th vs. FGCU. As a whole, A-Sun teams are 11-10 at home.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.