Thursday, October 11, 2012
MACON, Ga. - This Friday continues the Atlantic Sun Men’s Soccer Coaches vs. Cancer contests with North Florida and FGCU holding festivities with Northern Kentucky and USC Upstate in town. All nine A-Sun teams have banded together to raise awareness and money for cancer research. Last season, A-Sun teams raised 6,000 dollars for the American Cancer Society. This marks the third-straight season that A-Sun has participated in the event.
In the A-Sun standings, Mercer sits at the top with nine points on a 3-0 record just ahead of ETSU with six. Four teams are tied in third place with three points.
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- Winning on the road in conference play is very difficult considering seven teams own a .500 or better on their home turf over the past three seasons in A-Sun play. FGCU (9-0) and Stetson (7-1-1) lead the way with ETSU (8-2-1) and Mercer (7-2-1) just behind them.
- The Eagles own the longest home unbeaten streak in A-Sun play at 15 matches dating back to Oct. 31, 2008. During that span, FGCU has outscored its opponents, 44-8, and posted a 14-0-1 record.
- Over the last four years, only four teams own winning records in conference play; FGCU (22-5-1), Stetson (19-6-3), ETSU (16-11-2) and Mercer (15-12-2). FGCU and Stetson are the lone teams with winning records in each of the last three A-Sun seasons.
- Northern Kentucky has started to adjust to Division I play as the Norse are 3-1-1 in their last five contests after starting the season 0-6 and averaging two goals allowed in each loss. NKU’s defense has stepped up by conceding only four goals in the past five matches.
- ETSU’s David Geno, the A-Sun Player of the Week, took over the lead amongst active A-Sun student-athletes for goals from Stetson’s Jonathan Mendoza after tallying three goals in the Bucs last three games. Geno still trails Mendoza by one point for the active career lead in points.
- With his recent flurry of goals, Geno ranks eighth nationally for total points and 12th for toals goals on the season. Geno also recently broke former Buccaneer Aaron Schoenfeld’s record for career goals with 21. Schoenfeld now plays for the MLS Columbus Crew.
- Mercer’s Greg Ranjitsingh earned his 13th career shutout on Sunday with 10 saves to earn the A-Sun Defensive Player of the Week honors. His career shutout total is seventh-best in A-Sun history just ahead of Stetson’s Andreas Schnabl at 12 - good for 8th-most.
- For the second-straight week, Mercer appeared in the NSCAA South Region rankings. The Bears tied for eighth this week - two spots lower than their previous rankings. ETSU rejoined the rankings in a tie for 10th, which marks the Bucs’ fourth week in the regional poll.
- Northern Kentucky joined Mercer as the two undefeated A-Sun teams at home as the Norse hosted its first two home games and came away with a 1-0-1 record. The Bears are 5-0 at home this season.
- Lipscomb’s Ethan Summers and Mercer’s Will Betts lead all active A-Sun student-athletes with 67 career starts, which is tied for 20th most in A-Sun history. Their next starts will move the duo into a tie for 16th.
- For the third-straight week, North Florida goalkeeper Kyle Nasta leads the nation in saves per game with 7.75. Joining him in the top-20 is USC Upstate goal keeper Dani Alvarado at No. 25 with 5.3 saves per game.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.