Wednesday, October 31, 2012
MACON, Ga. - With three seeds already clinched in the A-Sun Men’s Soccer Championship (Mercer, ETSU, FGCU), four teams are fighting for four spots. USC Upstate and Stetson can clinch spots on Wednesday, while Jacksonville and Lipscomb will have to wait until Saturday for their chance at postseason play.
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- Only two teams have the opportunity to host the 2012 Atlantic Sun Men’s Soccer Championship with only one week remaining in the season. FGCU needs to win out vs. Stetson and Mercer to host, while the Bears need only a tie vs. FGCU or a FGCU loss/tie to Stetson for the hosting responsibilities.
- With a FGCU loss/tie on Wednesday vs. Stetson, Mercer would clinch the regular-season championship and one-seed in the conference tournament. The Bears last won the regular-season crown in 2002 and hosted the A-Sun Championship in 2003-05.
- For the first time this season, three Atlantic Sun men’s soccer teams appeared in the NSCAA South Region rankings, announced on Monday. FGCU landed at No. 9, while ETSU and Mercer tied for the tenth spot.
- Northern Kentucky currently sits with 10 points (3-2-1) in conference play. With two wins this week, the Norse could clinch the best debut for an A-Sun men’s soccer program since 1997, when Jacksonville owned a 6-2 league record in their first season in the Atlantic Sun.
- Northern Kentucky hosts the final Coaches vs. Cancer contest on Saturday with Lipscomb coming into town. All nine A-Sun teams have banded together to raise awareness and money for cancer research. Last season, A-Sun teams raised 6,000 dollars for the American Cancer Society. This marks the third-straight season that A-Sun teams have participated in the event.
- The Eagles own the longest home unbeaten streak in A-Sun play at 18 matches dating back to Oct. 31, 2008. During that span, FGCU has outscored its opponents, 48-8, and posted a 17-0-1 record.
- Stetson’s Kai Eckenrode, the Co-Player of the Week, netted three goals in a 3-2 win vs. North Florida on Friday. It was the first hat trick of the season from an A-Sun men’s soccer player and first since Lipscomb’s Garret Pettis tallied four goals on Oct 16th, 2011 vs. UNF.
- Mercer’s Ehjayson Henry, the other Co-Player of the Week, moved into second place in the A-Sun for points with 14 on five goals and four assists. His two goals and an assist last week led the Bears to a 2-0 week and clinched a first-round bye in the A-Sun Championship.
- ETSU’s David Geno’s 29 points are the most in the A-Sun since Lipscomb’s Miguel DaSilva tallied the same amount in the 2008 season with nine goals and 11 assists. Jacksonville’s Anton Axelsson recorded 36 points in 2007.
- Lipscomb’s Ethan Summers continues to move up in the A-Sun record books with every match he starts as his 72 career starts is tied for eighth most. Mercer’s Will Betts is just behind him with 71 career starts tied for 10th-best.
- The Bisons have played in four-straight overtime matches to set a program record. Lipscomb is 1-2-1 during the overtime stretch.
- North Florida earned its first A-Sun victory with a 3-2 double-overtime victory vs. Lipscomb on Sunday. It was the first conference victory for the Ospreys since Oct. 21st, 2010 vs. Mercer.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.