A New Season Set to Begin for #ASunMSoc Squads
Thursday, August 29, 2013
MACON, Ga. - The opening weekend of the 2013 men's soccer season puts the Atlantic Sun directly in the spotlight as FGCU takes on USF in the NSCAA National Game of the Week on NSCAA TV.
Along with FGCU's showdown against last year's NCAA Tournament opponent, three teams are at home with Jacksonville, Lipscomb and North Florida all hosting teams in the first week of the season.
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- Three top-70 NCAA RPI teams are on tap for week one as FGCU faces USF (No. 32), Mercer travels to Clemson (No. 60) and ETSU is at South Carolina (No. 68). FGCU finished the season at No. 62.
- FGCU enters the 2013 season on a nine-match unbeaten streak (8-0-1) after ending last season with a tie against USF in the NCAA Tournament First Round. Among the 48 NCAA Tournament Participants, the Eagles' streak is tied for second with UMBC (6-0-3) trailing only Akron (17; 15-0-2).
- Four A-Sun teams face two 2012 NCAA Tournament squads as FGCU and Stetson both square off with USF (NCAA 2nd Round), while North Florida and Jacksonville host Western Illinois (NCAA 1st Round).
- ETSU's David Geno, the 2013 Preseason Player of the Year, has racked up several points in his three-year career with the Bucs. The senior forward has 62 career points with 23 goals and 16 assists. Check out below how he stands up against other active A-Sun student-athletes.
Atlantic Sun Men's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Offensive Stats
| David Geno, ETSU (23)
|| Joey Heavner, Mercer (17)
|| David Geno, ETSU (62)
| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (10)
|| David Geno, ETSU (16)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (27)
| Ryan King, Mercer (9)
|| Itode Fubara, ETSU (11)
|| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (26)
| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (9)
|| Blaike Woodruff, ETSU (10)
|| Fubara, ETSU / Henry, Mercer (25)
- Lipscomb hosts crosstown rival, Belmont, in the "Battle of the Boulevard" to kick off its season. The Bisons are undefeated against the Bruins in the past eight match-ups (6-0-2). Lipscomb has outscored Belmont, 14-4, during the unbeaten streak, which includes a 1-0 win last season.
- USC Upstate travels only 40 miles for its opening game; down Interstate 26 against Presbyterian. The Spartans are unbeaten (3-0-1) in their last four matches vs. the Blue Hose. Upstate has won the last two games, 2-0, in the series.
- Northern Kentucky opens the season on an eight-game road swing as the Norse won't play at the NKU Soccer Complex until September 29th against Bowling Green.
- Mercer's Greg Ranjitsingh was selected as the 2013 A-Sun Preseason Goalkeeper of the Year by the league coaches. Check out his career stats below compared to other goal tenders in the conference.
Atlantic Sun Men's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Goalkeeper Stats
|Ryan Coulter, ETSU (15)
||Greg Ranjitsingh, Mercer (159)
||Andreas Schnabl, Stetson (21)
|Greg Ranjistingh, Mercer (14)
||Andreas Schnabl, Stetson (158)
||Greg Ranjisingh, Mercer (20)
|Andreas Schnabl, Stetson (12)
||Ryan Coulter, ETSU (125)
||Ryan Coulter, ETSU (19)
|Nathan Ingham, FGCU (10)
||Gavin Carlin, Jacksonville (121)
||Nathan Ingham, FGCU (17)
- Stetson's senior goalkeeper, Andreas Schnabl has 158 career saves; second-most among active players. Schnabl needs 61 saves to tie former Hatter keeper, Derek Alexander (1993-96) for 23rd most saves in A-Sun history.
- In total, 13 games are slated for the first seven days of action in the 2013 season.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.