Several Tests Await In Week Two for #ASunMSoc Squads
Wednesday, September 04, 2013
MACON, Ga. - The second week of play for Atlantic Sun men's soccer teams brings several tests as seven matches against regionally-ranked squads await including two versus teams with national distinction.
Mercer earns a chance to take down the first nationally-ranked team of the season when the Bears square off against No. 24 UNC-Wilmington on Sunday, while ETSU hosts Kentucky and Winthrop; both of which reached the 2012 NCAA Tournament.
Four conference teams remain undefeated; Lipscomb (1-0-0), North Florida (1-0-1), FGCU (0-0-1) and Northern Kentucky (0-0-1).
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- Five top-80 NCAA RPI teams from 2012 are on tap for week two with Mercer vs. Elon (No. 25), ETSU facing Kentucky (No. 31) and Winthrop (No. 72), Northern Kentucky and Lipscomb both traveling to Dayton (No. 61) and North Florida against UCF (No. 80).
- FGCU and ETSU both received recognition in the first release of the NSCAA Region Polls. The Eagles landed at eighth in the South Region listing with the Buccaneers earning votes in the same poll. This week, A-Sun teams square off against six regionally-ranked opponents (List Below)
A-Sun Men's Soccer Teams vs. NSCAA Regionally-Ranked Teams
|9/5 - 7 p.m.
||No. 7 in Midwest
|9/6 - 5 p.m.
||No. 3 in South
|9/6 - 7:30 p.m.
||No. 9 in Mid-Atlantic
|9/8 - 1 p.m. CT
||No. 9 in Mid-Atlantic
|9/8 - 3:30 p.m.
||No. 2 in South Atlantic
|9/8- 7 p.m.
||RV in South
|9/9 - 7 p.m.
||No. 10 in South Atlantic
- With a 2-2 tie vs. USF, FGCU extended its unbeaten streak (8-0-2) to 10 matches, which trails only Akron (17-0-2) and UMBC (8-0-3) for the longest among the 48 NCAA Tournament participants from last season.
- After one week of play, Lipscomb's Omar Djabi and North Florida's Alex Morrell are tied for the league lead in points with four. Miguel DaSilva is the last Bison player to top the A-Sun charts in points for a season (2008 with 29 points). An Osprey has never finished the year in first for points.
- USC Upstate's Dave Musambi (1G, 1A) and FGCU's Felipe DeSousa (1G) both registered points in the opening weekend to move up in the ranking among active players in the A-Sun. Check out below how they stands up against other active A-Sun student-athletes.
Atlantic Sun Men's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Offensive Stats
| David Geno, ETSU (23)
|| Joey Heavner, Mercer (17)
|| David Geno, ETSU (62)
| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (10)
|| David Geno, ETSU (16)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (27)
| Ryan King, Mercer (9)
|| Itode Fubara, ETSU (11)
|| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (26)
| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (9)
|| Blaike Woodruff, ETSU (10)
|| Itode Fubara, ETSU (25)
| Felipe DeSousa, FGCU (8)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (9)
|| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (25)
| Itode Fubara, ETSU (7)
|| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonvile (8)
|| Joey Heavner, Mercer (23)
| Dave Musambi, USC Upstate (7)
|| Steven Saballos, Stetson (6)
|| Dave Musambi, USC Upstate (19)
| Matheus Saroli, Jacksonville (7)
|| Kyle Erickson, Lipscomb (6)
|| Matheus Saroli, Jacksonville (18)
- North Florida's 1-0-1 start to the season included claiming the Mike Gibbs Memorial Tournament title as the Ospreys are off to their best start since the 2002 season when UNF opened 3-0-1. North Florida's next match is on the road against UCF on Sunday at 7 p.m.
- Over its past 10 games, Northern Kentucky owns a 5-3-2 record. The Norse's .600 winning percentage trails only ETSU (5-1-4; .700) and FGCU (8-0-2; .900) for the best in the A-Sun over that span.
- ETSU has led the league in shots per game for the past three seasons including 14.9 shots per game last season. The Bucs' David Geno and Itode Fubara are tops in the A-Sun for career shots among active players. Check that and other miscellaneous statistics below.
Atlantic Sun Men's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Miscellaneous Stats
|Game Winning Goals
|David Geno, ETSU (9)
||David Geno, ETSU (152)
||Itode Fubara, ETSU (62)
|Ryan King, Mercer (5)
||Itode Fubara, ETSU (104)
||Joey Heavner, Mercer (61)
|Felipe DeSousa, FGCU (5)
||Ryan King, Mercer (100)
||Blaike Woodruff, ETSU (56)
|Xavier Silva, FGCU (4)
||Dave Musambi, USC Upstate (84)
||David Geno, ETSU (54)
|Tyler Burkhardt, Lipscomb (4)
||Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (61)
||Four tied with 52
- Stetson's senior goalkeeper, Andreas Schnabl has 161 career saves tied with Mercer's Greg Ranjitsingh for most among active players. Schnabl and Ranjitsingh need 58 saves to tie former Hatter keeper, Derek Alexander (1993-96) for 23rd most saves in A-Sun history.
- In total, 14 games are slated for the first seven days of action including six matches at home.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.