Non-Conference Slate Continues for #ASunMSoc Teams
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Sixteen games are slated for Atlantic Sun men's soccer teams this week with several tough non-conference opponents on the horizon. Luckily, 10 of the 16 games are on A-Sun turf as league teams continue to build their postseason resume.
ETSU continues its tough schedule as the Buccaneers face six NSCAA regionally-ranked teams to open the season. The Bucs (1-1-1) try for the first win of the season against a ranked team for an A-Sun squad as they face No. 8 UAB on Sunday after tangling against Memphis on Friday.
North Florida remains as the lone unbeaten conference team at 2-0-1 after defeating the American Athletic Conference's UCF, 1-0, on Sunday night.
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- Entering Tuesday's games, Lipscomb's Omar Djabi is tied for third in the nation for total goals with four. The junior has two multi-goal games and leads the A-Sun in points (9) and goals.
- North Florida became the third A-Sun team this season to earn recognition in the NSCAA Region Polls. The Ospreys are receiving votes in the South Region as UNF is off to its best start since the 2002 season when they opened 3-0-1. This week, A-Sun teams square off against five regionally-ranked opponents in six contests. (List Below)
A-Sun Men's Soccer Teams vs. NSCAA Regionally-Ranked Teams
|9/13 - 2 p.m.
||vs. Western Illinois
||RV in Midwest
|9/13 - 5:30 p.m.
||No. 5 in Midwest
|9/13 - 7:30 p.m.
||RV in South Atlantic
|9/14 - 8 p.m.
||No. 6 in Great Lakes
|9/15 - 1 p.m.
||RV in South Atlantic
|9/15- 3:30 p.m.
||No. 2 in Midwest
- FGCU's offense is off to a hot start as the Eagles are averaging 2.5 goals per contest; highest average in the A-Sun. The Eagles' Felipe DeSousa leads the squad with three goals, while his average of three points per contest is tied for second-most in the NCAA with Lipscomb's Djabi.
- USC Upstate squares off against UNC Asheville on Tuesday at home. The Spartans are 6-0 all-time vs. the Bulldogs, which includes a 3-0 mark in the Division I era. Upstate won 1-0 last year in Asheville.
- Last week, five A-Sun players had two-goal games in a four-day span; Jacksonville's Nick Rodriguez, Lipscomb's Omar Djabi, Mercer's Ehjayson Henry, FGCU's Felipe DeSousa and Northern Kentucky's Setho Moshoeshoe.
- Jacksonville's Nick Rodriguez, the A-Sun Player of the Week, pushed his career point total to 30 with his two-goal effort vs. Grand Canyon. He now ranks second among active A-Sun players for points and third for goals. Check out below how he stacks up against other active A-Sun student-athletes.
Atlantic Sun Men's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Offensive Stats
| David Geno, ETSU (23)
|| Joey Heavner, Mercer (17)
|| David Geno, ETSU (62)
| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (12)
|| David Geno, ETSU (16)
|| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (30)
| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (11)
|| Itode Fubara, ETSU (11)
|| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (29)
| Felipe DeSousa, FGCU (10)
|| Blaike Woodruff, ETSU (10)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (28)
| Ryan King, Mercer (9)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (10)
|| Itode Fubara, ETSU (25)
| Matheus Saroli, Jacksonville (8)
|| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonvile (8)
|| Joey Heavner, Mercer (23)
| Four tied with seven
|| S. Saballos, Stetson / K. Erickson, Lipscomb (6)
|| Felipe DeSousa, FGCU (21)
- Northern Kentucky is bringing an attacking offense in its second year of Division I soccer. The Norse are averaging nearly 17 shots per game - tops in the A-Sun - up from last year's average of 12 per game. The change in pace is already paying dividends as NKU has scored five goal in its first three games. Last year, the Norse didn't tally its fifth goal until the seventh game of the season.
- After two home games in its first three contests, Stetson hits the highway for a four-game road trip starting in Macon, Ga for two neutral field contests against Georgia Southern and Winthrop. The Hatters' next home game comes at the end of the month with La Salle on September 28th.
- ETSU has a slew of experience on its roster as four of the top-five players for games played in the A-Sun hail from the Buccaneers' campus. Check that and other miscellaneous statistics below.
Atlantic Sun Men's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Miscellaneous Stats
|Game Winning Goals
|David Geno, ETSU (9)
||Joey Heavner, Mercer (64)
||Itode Fubara, ETSU (64)
|Ryan King, Mercer (5)
||Itode Fubara, ETSU (64)
||Joey Heavner, Mercer (62)
|Felipe DeSousa, FGCU (5)
||David Geno, ETSU (62)
||Blaike Woodruff, ETSU (58)
|Xavier Silva, FGCU (4)
||Nate Hodges, ETSU (62)
||Four tied with 54
|Tyler Burkhardt, Lipscomb (4)
||Blaike Woodruff, ETSU (61)
- Mercer's junior goalkeeper, Greg Ranjitsingh has 173 career saves for most among active A-Sun players. Ranjitsingh needs 46 saves to tie former Hatter keeper, Derek Alexander (1993-96) for 23rd most saves in A-Sun history.
- ETSU's senior goalkeeper Ryan Coulter owns two shutouts this season and 17 in his career, which ranks fifth most in A-Sun history. Coulter's next shutout will tie him for fourth with Centenary's Damin Hall (1984-87).
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.