Tuesday, September 17, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Nineteen games highlight the Atlantic Sun men's soccer schedule this week with four matches against Top-25 nationally ranked teams and seven against regionally-ranked squads.
The matches against four Top-25 teams begins on Friday for A-Sun squads as FGCU travels to No. 6 Washington. On Saturday, Mercer squares off with No. 16 UAB before its match against No. 20 Memphis on Tuesday. Also on Tuesday, USC Upstate takes on No. 4 Clemson at 7 p.m.
North Florida remains as the lone unbeaten conference team at 3-0-1 with matches at FIU and FAU this weekend.
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- North Florida extended its historic start with a 4-1 win vs. UNC Asheville on Saturday to push its record to 3-0-1. The last time an Osprey squad had four wins in its first five contests was 1996 when UNF started 7-1-0.
- ETSU continued its difficult schedule to open the season with a scoreless vs. Memphis, a regionally-ranked team, before defeating No. 8 UAB on the road, 1-0. The Buccaneers have now faced five NSCAA regionally-ranked teams to open the season. The Bucs sit at 2-1-2 for the year despite only scoring one goal.
- Ryan Coulter, the A-Sun Defensive Player of the Week, has 19 career shutouts in his three years at ETSU, which is tied for third-most in A-Sun history. Several other goalkeepers are racking up shutouts in their career:
- Mercer's junior goalkeeper, Greg Ranjitsingh has 181 career saves for most among active A-Sun players. Ranjitsingh needs 38 saves to tie former Hatter keeper, Derek Alexander (1993-96) for 23rd most saves in A-Sun history.
- ETSU landed in a tie at No. 8 in the NSCAA South Region poll after a 1-0-1 week, while North Florida continued to earn votes in the ranking. This week, A-Sun teams square off against six regionally-ranked opponents in seven contests. (List Below)
A-Sun Men's Soccer Teams vs. NSCAA Regionally-Ranked Teams
|9/20 - 7 p.m.
||No. 9 in Great Lakes
|9/20 - 7 p.m.
||No. 5 in South
|9/20 - 10 p.m.
||No. 3 in Far West
|9/21 - 8 p.m.
||No. 2 in Midwest
|9/22 - 2 p.m.
||No. 9 in Great Lakes
|9/24 - 7 p.m.
||No. 3 in South
|9/24 - 8 p.m.
||No. 4 in Midwest
- Three players are tied for the league lead in goals at four; FGCU's Felipe DeSousa, Lipscomb's Omar Djabi and Mercer's Ehjayson Henry. LU's Djabi is tops in the A-Sun for points with nine and also is best with his two game-winning goals.
- FGCU travels cross country for its next two matches; at No. 6 Washington and at Seattle. The 5,238-mile round trip is the longest of the season for any A-Sun squad. The road trip continues for the Eagles after returning from Seattle as FGCU heads to road matches against Penn and Princeton the following week.
- USC Upstate's Dave Musambi continues to lead the league in shots fired. The forward is averaging five shots per contest for a total of 20. His strategy is paying off as Musambi has netted three goals in four games for the Spartans.
- Mercer's Ehjayson Henry, the A-Sun Player of the Week, netted two goals over the weekend to push his career total to 14; second-most among active A-Sun players. Check out below how he stacks up against other active A-Sun student-athletes.
Atlantic Sun Men's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Offensive Stats
| David Geno, ETSU (23)
|| Joey Heavner, Mercer (17)
|| David Geno, ETSU (62)
| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (14)
|| David Geno, ETSU (16)
|| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (33)
| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (11)
|| Itode Fubara, ETSU (11)
|| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (30)
| Felipe DeSousa, FGCU (11)
|| Blaike Woodruff, ETSU (10)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (28)
| Ryan King, Mercer (9)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (10)
|| Itode Fubara, ETSU (25)
| Dave Musambi, USC Upstate (9)
|| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (8)
|| Three tied with 23
- Northern Kentucky's Caleb Eastham netted both of the Norse goals last week including the game-winning goal vs. Loyola in the 30th minute. His three goals this season leads NKU and is tied for fourth in the A-Sun.
- Two matches are scheduled to be shown on ASun.TV this week as USC Upstate hosts Wofford and Mercer faces Gardner-Webb. Both match are slated for 7 p.m. kick-offs on Wednesday. FGCU's match vs. No. 6 Washington can be viewed on the Pac-12 Network.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.