Wednesday, September 25, 2013
MACON, Ga. – With Atlantic Sun men’s soccer league play beginning next Friday, league teams start their final preparations in non-conference action with 11 contests.
Four of the 11 contests are home games for A-Sun teams as ETSU, Jacksonville, Stetson and Northern Kentucky try to protect their home turf. FGCU takes the longest road trip of the week travelling to Philadelphia (at Penn) followed by a match at Princeton on Sunday, which will be broadcast on ESPNU.
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- North Florida has already tied its win total (4) from last season in Head Coach Derek Marinatos' third year with the Ospreys. UNF leads the league with 1.83 goals per game up from 1.12 last season and 0.38 in 2011.
- UNF became the third A-Sun team to land in the Top-10 of the NSCAA South Region poll this season. The Ospreys sit at No. 8 in the ranking after a 4-1-1 start to the season. This week, A-Sun teams square off against one regionally-ranked opponent. (List Below)
A-Sun Men's Soccer Teams vs. NSCAA Regionally-Ranked Teams
|9/28 - 7 p.m.
||No. 9 in South
- Northern Kentucky's A.J. Fleak, the A-Sun Defensive Player of the Week, tallied the game-winning goal vs. Wright State. He became the first Norse goalkeeper to tally a goal since 1993. Fleak also landed on the Top Drawer Soccer National Team of the Week for his performances.
- The Norse finally open the home portion of their 2013 schedule after an eight-game road trip to begin the season. NKU went 3-2-3 during the stretch. Last season, the Norse opened their schedule on a nine-game road trip and started the year 2-7.
- Mercer's Joey Heavner and ETSU's Itode Fubara have both started 67 games in their career, which is tied for 24th most in A-Sun history. Their next starts will push the duo into a tie for 20th place with four others.
- Mercer's junior goalkeeper, Greg Ranjitsingh has 199 career saves for most among active A-Sun players. Ranjitsingh needs 20 saves to tie former Hatter keeper, Derek Alexander (1993-96) for 23rd most saves in A-Sun history.
- Five players are tied for the league lead in goals at four; FGCU's Felipe DeSousa, Lipscomb's Omar Djabi, Mercer's Ehjayson Henry, Northern Kentucky's Caleb Eastham and USC Upstate's Dave Musambi. LU's Djabi and Upstate's Musambi are tied for the lead in points with nine.
- North Florida's Jean Rivaroli became the third Osprey to garner A-Sun weekly honors this season after tallying two goals at FAU. Prior to this season, UNF had won only three conference weekly awards from 2005-2012.
- ETSU's David Geno has yet to tally a point this season after missing time early in the season due to injury. However, Geno still leads all active A-Sun players in points and goals scored. Check out below how he stacks up against other active A-Sun student-athletes.
Atlantic Sun Men's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Offensive Stats
| David Geno, ETSU (23)
|| Joey Heavner, Mercer (17)
|| David Geno, ETSU (62)
| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (14)
|| David Geno, ETSU (16)
|| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (33)
| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (12)
|| Itode Fubara, ETSU (11)
|| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (32)
| Felipe DeSousa, FGCU (11)
|| Blaike Woodruff, ETSU (10)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (28)
| Dave Musambi, USC Upstate (10)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (10)
|| Itode Fubara, ETSU (25)
| Ryan King, Mercer (9)
|| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (8)
|| Dave Musambi, USC Upstate (25)
- Stetson has yet to determine who is the top goal scorer on the squad as six different players are tied for the team lead in goals with one. Justin Shirah is tops on the team with one goal and an assist.
- Two matches are scheduled to be shown on ASun.TV this week as Jacksonville welcomes Belmont on Saturday and NKU hosts Bowling Green on Sunday. FGCU's match at Princeton on Sunday will be on ESPNU and the WatchESPN app.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.