Wednesday, October 16, 2013
MACON, Ga. – FGCU and Jacksonville host their Coaches vs. Cancer contests on Thursday as they welcome Mercer and USC Upstate, respectively. Last season, the nine Atlantic Sun men's soccer teams combined to raise 6,051 dollars for the American Cancer Society.
In total, nine matches are slated for the next week of play with eight being broadcast on ASun.TV. FGCU enters the third week of play with 12 points in the league standings ahead of ETSU and Lipscomb tied with nine and Northern Kentucky sitting in fourth place with four points.
A-Sun Men's Soccer Weekly Notes (#ASunMSoc):
- Six teams in A-Sun history have posted perfect conference records. FGCU, who accomplished the feat in 2010, is currently 4-0 with four matches remaining.
- FGCU is receiving votes in the NSCAA South Region poll this week. The Eagles sit at 6-5-1 this season and are on a six-match winning streak.
- FGCU has a 26-2-1 record in conference play over the past four season and have outscored their A-Sun opponents, 63-17, during the span. The Eagles' 26 wins in four league seasons is second-most in A-Sun history behind the FGCU team from 2009-12, which won 28 games.
- Five current A-Sun student-athletes sit in the top-15 of the league career record books for several different marks. Follow their progress through the rest of the season with the infographic below:
- ETSU's Ryan Coulter next shutout will place the senior goalkeeper in sole possession of the career shutout mark passing FIU's Jeff Cassar (1992-95).
- Several other players are in the career record books for several categories; Ranjitsingh with 220 saves (23rd), ETSU's Blaike Woodruff and Itode Fubara both with 67 games started (T25th) and Mercer's Brady O'Brien with 64 starts (T33rd).
- Three players scored two goals on Oct. 13th; ETSU's Emmanuel Wilson, Jacksonville's Matheus Saroli and FGCU's Isaiah Madrid, while Lipscomb's Omar Djabi tallied two goals on Oct. 11th.
- Djabi and Madrid split the A-Sun Player of the Week honors after guiding their teams to 2-0 records with three goals apiece. Djabi currently leads the A-Sun in points (18) and goals (8).
- Through two weeks of conference play, six goalkeepers have goals against averages less than one. USC Upstate's Dani Alvarado leads the way with a 0.00 GAA after a 0-0 shutout vs. Stetson on Friday followed by FGCU's Danny George (0.25), Coulter (0.49) and Lipscomb's Micah Bledsoe (0.50).
- Last season, Lipscomb won at Northern Kentucky, 1-0, in NKU's regular-season finale. It marked NKU's only loss at home in its Division I era as the Norse are 3-1-3 at the NKU Soccer Stadium since joining the A-Sun last season.
- David Geno tallied his first goal of the season on Oct. 6th after recovering from an injury to start the season. He now sits with two goals and an assist on the year. See where he ranks among the A-Sun active career leaders:
Atlantic Sun Men's Soccer Career Active Leaders - Offensive Stats
| David Geno, ETSU (25)
|| Joey Heavner, Mercer (21)
|| David Geno, ETSU (67)
| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (16)
|| David Geno, ETSU (17)
|| Ehjayson Henry, Mercer (38)
| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (12)
|| Itode Fubara, ETSU (12)
|| Nick Rodriguez, Jacksonville (32)
| Felipe DeSousa, FGCU (12)
|| Blaike Woodruff, ETSU (12)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (29)
| Dave Musambi, USC Upstate (11)
|| Ryan King, Mercer (11)
|| Itode Fubara, ETSU (28)
| M. Saroli, JU / Omar Djabi, Lipscomb (11)
|| N. Rodriguez, JU / S. Saballos, Stetson (8)
|| Four tied with 27
- The next seven matches for Atlantic Sun men's soccer teams can be seen for free on ASun.TV.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.