Friday, April 05, 2013
MACON, Ga. - With only two weeks until the 2013 Atlantic Sun Men's Tennis Championship in Johnson City, Tenn., North Florida sits atop the conference standings at 4-0, while Stetson has already clinched a spot in the tournament with a 5-1 record.
A-Sun Men's Tennis Notes (#ASunMTen):
- North Florida and ETSU both appeared in this week's Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Top-75 Team Rankings. The Ospreys are the top ranked A-Sun squad at No. 66 ahead of No. 74 ETSU.
- In the latest ITA singles rankings released on March 26th, USC Upstate's Matthias Kidler landed at No. 111 just ahead of ETSU's Jesus Bandres at 120th. The doubles rankings have North Florida's Norbert Nemcsek and Daniel Sotomarino as the nation's 10th-best team.
- The 66th-ranked Ospreys take on No. 26 Florida State on Friday with a match in Tallahassee. For North Florida, it marks its 10th match against a ranked opponent this season. UNF owns a 3-6 record in its previous nine matches vs. ranked teams.
- Stetson's Simon Julin and Cahit Kapukiran own the best singles records in the A-Sun as Julin is 13-1 on the year, while Kapukiran is 13-2. Julin's lone loss came at No. 2 singles, while he has a combined 10-0 record at No. 3/4 singles.
- ETSU's Jesus Bandres, the A-Sun Player of the Week, lays claim to the best record at No. 1 singles as his 9-3 record is slightly better than USC Upstate's Matthias Kidler (11-4) and FGCU's Jordi Vives (9-4).
- Lipscomb, who has won four-straight matches, has the top-two doubles teams at the No. 2 and 3 spots. Miguel Cortez and Stuart Tierney are 4-0 this season at No. 2, while David Salazar and Oliver Strecker also own a 4-0 record at No. 3 doubles. North Florida's Norbert Nemcsek and Daniel Sotomarino are 7-1 at No. 1 doubles for the best record in the A-Sun.
- Eight A-Sun student-athletes have undefeated records in conference play. Of those who have played in at least three matches, FGCU's Tianyu Bao leads the way at 5-0 with five others trailing him at 4-0.
- Upstate's Matthias Kidler owns the lone undefeated record at No. 1 singles (3-0), while ETSU's Rogerio Ribeiro (4-0) and FGCU's Dean Tsamas (3-0) have unblemished marks at No. 2 singles.
- The Buccaneers tandem of Jesus Bandres and Rogerio Ribeiro are the only undefeated doubles team in conference play at 4-0. All four of their doubles wins have come at the No. 1 spot.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.