Wednesday, March 20, 2013
MACON, Ga. - ETSU's Ifrish Alberg and Lipscomb's Gemikal Prude capture Atlantic Sun Weekly Awards as announced by the league office on Wednesday.
Alberg broke a national record from his native Suriname in the 100m, while Prude set a Lipscomb record in the high jump.
TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Ifrish Alberg, ETSU
(Sr. – Sprints – Paramaribo, Suriname. – Interdisciplinary Studies)
- Second Career Track Athlete of the Week award; first this outdoor season
- Set the national record for his native Suriname with his performance in the 100m
- Time of 10.31 earned him a gold at the 49er Classic
- Bested the previous Surinamese national record which was 10.32 set by Sammy Monsels on May 15, 1982
- Alberg was also part of the men's 4x100 team that placed third with a time of 41.15.
FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Gemikal Prude, Lipscomb
- Tucker Peabody (Fr., Lipscomb) – Won the 100m and the 200m at the Samford Invite
- Rasmus Rooks (Fr., Kennesaw State) – Participated in three relay events for the Owls
- J.J. Webber (Fr., Northern Kentucky) – Landed an NKU freshman record in the 1500m with a time of 3:59.43
- Gilbert Kemboi (Sr., USC Upstate) – Finished second in the 5000m with a time of 14:14.34
(So. – Jumps – Melbourne, Fla. – Exercise Science)
- Second Career Field Athlete of the Week award; first this outdoor season
- Won the high jump with a leap of 2.14m at the Samford Invitational
- Posted a Lipscomb record in the event
- Currently holds the top-mark in the A-Sun and ranks No. 8 in the country
- Mark of 2.14 meters has made the NCAA I National Championship Preliminary round every year
- Robert Harvey (Fr., Kennesaw State) – Landed two personal bests at the Georgia Relays in the hammer throw and the discus
- Kenny Sugishita (Fr., USC Upstate) – Turned in a sixth-place finish in the men's hammer throw with a toss of 55.27-meters
- Josh Miller (Fr., Northern Kentucky) – Tallied the most points for the Norse, earning 11.5 points in three events
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.