Wednesday, April 03, 2013
MACON, Ga. - USC Upstate's Gilbert Kemboi and Kennesaw State's Andre Dorsey add to their decorated careers by earning Atlantic Sun Track and Field Weekly Honors as announced by the conference on Wednesday.
Kemboi landed his 13th career A-Sun Weekly award after marking a school record in the 10,000m with a time of 29:2296, while Dorsey set two records for the Owls at the Yellow Jacket Invitational.
TRACK ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Gilbert Kemboi, USC Upstate
(Sr. – Distance – Eldoret, Kenya – Sociology)
- Second Career Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week award; 13th career A-Sun Weekly honor
- Turned in a school record performance at the Raleigh Relays in the 10,000m
- Finish third place with a time of 29:22.96
- Had negative split, running the first half in 15:00 and the second in 14:22 to shave 29 seconds off of his personal-best mark
- Leads the A-Sun in the event this season and 17th nationally
FIELD ATHLETE OF THE WEEK:
Andre Dorsey, Kennesaw State
- Jared Wingerter (Fr., Lipscomb) – Set a personal record in the 5000m with a time of 14:47.69
- Zac Davis (Fr., Kennesaw State) – Ran a personal best in the 400m (47.96) and currently holds the top time in the A-Sun this season
(So. – Combined – Chamlmette, La. – Forensic Chemistry)
- First Career Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week award
- Broke two school records at the Yellow Jacket Invitational in the javelin and the triple jump
- Finished first in the triple jump with a leap of 15.92m which bested the previous record by a full meter
- Jump in the triple jump currently ranks No. 6 in the country
- Secured third place in the javelin with a heave of 58.80m
- Kevin Floyd (Sr., Lipscomb) – Out vaulted the the field at the Raleigh Relays with a vault of 4.75m
- Kenny Sugishita (Sr., USC Upstate) – Notched sixth-place in the hammer throw at the Raleigh Relays with a hurl 56.43m
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.