Friday, September 30, 2011
• Lipscomb, Belmont and FGCU sit at the top of the Atlantic Sun Volleyball standings after one week of conference play. The Lady Bisons and Bruins went to the Peach State and came away with two wins, while the Eagles defended Alico Arena in wins against Jacksonville and North Florida. ETSU is also undefeated after winning its conference opener against USC Upstate.
• With the two wins, Lipscomb extended its regular season conference win streak to 37 games, which is the second-longest streak in the nation. Only Northern Iowa owns a longer win streak with 40. This weekend, the Lady Bisons face USC Upstate and ETSU at home. The Lady Bucs and Bisons sets up a rematch of the 2010 A-Sun Championship Final, where ETSU claimed the first two sets against Lipscomb before falling in five sets.
• Belmont's Maggie Johnson, the A-Sun Player of the Week, currently leads all active A-Sun student-athletes in kills with 1,331. Her kill total ranks as the sixth most in A-Sun history as she needs only eight more to tie Kira Smedley (Stetson; 2001-04). She can also pass Rachel Hassan (Troy 2001-03) for sole possession of fourth with 12 kills this weekend.
A-Sun Active Career Kills Leaders
||Maggie Johnson (Belmont)
||Paige Pridgeon (North Florida)
||Morgan Thomas (USC Upstate)
||Amiee Frutchey (Mercer)
||Kelsie Queen (USC Upstate)
||Kaycee Green (Lipscomb)
||Kathryn Kane (Jacksonville)
||Megan Devine (ETSU)
• North Florida's Casey Gioivanazzi recorded 63 assists in a four-set win against Florida A&M on Sept. 25th, which is the most in the A-Sun this season. It is also the most since Sept. 26, 2009, when UNF's Jessica Catelano totaled 68 against FGCU. For a four-set match, it is the most since Jacksonville's Hannah Munneke tallied 68 vs. UNC Asheville on Sept. 23, 2007.
• With seven weeks until the 2011 A-Sun Volleyball Championship, three teams have already surpassed or equaled their 2010 season win total. North Florida secured its seventh win of the season on Saturday to tie last year's mark, while Stetson earned its third win on Tuesday to give the Hatters their most wins since the 2008 season. FGCU also reached seven wins on Saturday to tie its 2010 total.
• A-Sun Record Book Chasing:
8 - kills that Belmont's Maggie Johnson needs for fifth in career kills
11 - kills that Belmont's Maggie Johnson needs for fourth in career kills
14 - digs that FGCU's Holly Youngquist needs for eighth in career digs
15 - digs that FGCU's Holly Youngquist needs for seventh in career digs
27 - service aces that Belmont's Jen Myer needs for 10th in career aces
32 - service aces that North Florida's Paige Pridgeon needs for 10th in career aces
35 - service aces that Jacksonville's Ashley August needs for 10th in career aces
36 - service aces that Stetson's Kaylee Ream needs for 10th in career aces
39 - service aces that Jacksonville's Kendall Courtney needs for 10th in career aces
53 - blocks that USC Upstate's Morgan Thomas needs for 10th in career blocks
59 - blocks that ETSU's Jamie Stancliff needs for 10th in career blocks
85 - digs that Mercer's Charlotte Harris needs for 12th in career digs
108 - digs that Mercer's Amiee Frutchey needs for ninth in career digs
• This weekend, Mercer and Kennesaw State travel to the River City to face North Florida and Jacksonville, while Belmont and Lipscomb welcome ETSU and USC Upstate to Nashville. FGCU hosts Stetson on Saturday in the lone conference game of the weekend for both teams.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.