Friday, October 28, 2011
• Last weekend, Lipscomb, FGCU and Belmont all guaranteed spots in the 2011 A-Sun Volleyball Championship. Lipscomb earned two victories against Stetson and FGCU, while the Bruins and Eagles both earned one victory to lock in their postseason spots. The Lady Bisons host this year's championship, which is set to take place Nov. 17-19, 2011.
• On Tuesday, the longest streak in conference history came to a close as Belmont snapped Lipscomb's 44-match conference win streak with a 3-1 victory at the Curb Event Center. The Lady Bisons streak stretched back to 2008, when the Bruins defeated Lipscomb near the end of the regular season. The streak included two undefeated seasons coming in 2009 (20-0) and 2010 (10-0) and at the time of its ending was the third-longest in the nation. The loss also snapped Lipscomb's 14-match win streak this season.
• Belmont's Jen Myer is nearing two A-Sun records in regards to service aces. The sophomore needs only recorded 12 aces to claim the single-season record for aces in a season. She would pass FGCU's Ana Kokanovich's mark of 88, which was set in 2007. Myer also needs only one more ace to crack the top-10 of the career leaderboard with 120.
A-Sun Active Career Kills Leaders
||Maggie Johnson (Belmont)
||Paige Pridgeon (North Florida)
||Morgan Thomas (USC Upstate)
||Amiee Frutchey (Mercer)
||Kaycee Green (Lipscomb)
||Kelsie Queen (USC Upstate)
||Megan Devine (ETSU)
||Kathryn Kane (Jacksonville)
||Katie Rose (Lipscomb)
• Three A-Sun volleyball student-athletes are nearing four-digit milestones and can surpass that plateau this week. USC Upstate's Morgan Thomas needs only 20 kills to cross 1,000 kills for her career, which only two others have accomplished at their current institution. Lipscomb's Katie Rose needs eight digs to equal 1,000 career digs and join the five other active players to reach that mark. Finally, Belmont's Hannah Miranda needs 105 assists to reach 2,000 assists for her career. Only two active student-athletes have reached that mark.
• A-Sun Record Book Chasing:
1 - service aces that Belmont's Jen Myer needs for tie 10th in career aces (119)
4 - service aces that Stetson's Kaylee Ream needs for 100 career aces (96)
6 - service aces that North Florida's Paige Pridgeon needs for 100 career aces (94)
8 - digs that Lipscomb's Katie Rose needs for 1,000 career digs (992)
12 - service aces that Belmont's Jen Myer needs for most aces in a single season (77)
28 - blocks that ETSU's Jamie Stancliff needs for tenth in career blocks (306)
32 - blocks that USC Upstate's Morgan Thomas needs for tenth in career blocks (304)
10 - service aces that Jacksonville's Kendall Courtney needs for 9th most aces in a single season (44)
20 - kills that USC Upstate's Morgan Thomas needs for 1,000 career kills (980)
104 - digs that Mercer's Amiee Frutchey needs for 7th in career digs (1,396)
117 - digs that Mercer's Charlotte Harris needs for 9th in career digs (1,270)
128 - digs that FGCU's Holly Youngquist needs for 5th in career digs (1,511)
72 - kills that Belmont's Maggie Johnson needs for second in career kills (1,481)
• In a five-set thriller, North Florida claimed the first showdown in the River City Rumble volleyball edition. The win tied the Ospreys for sixth in the A-Sun standings with Jacksonville at 3-6. Junior outside hitter Paige Pridgeon led the way with 26 kills and 29 digs to give the UNF its 10th win of the season. Her 26 kills tied for second most this season in the A-Sun, while her 29 digs tied for sixth-most by an A-Sun student-athlete.
• This weekend, Kennesaw State welcomes ETSU and USC Upstate to Georgia, while North Florida and Jacksonville also make the trek to the Peach State to face Mercer. In both team's lone conference match of the weekend, FGCU travels to DeLand to take on Stetson.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.