Thursday, February 09, 2012
MACON, Ga. - Softball season is set to begin tomorrow in full force. Over the next week, 46 games are slated for play. Several of the games can be seen on ASun.TV. Three A-Sun teams will take on nationally ranked Florida (No. 2), Alabama (No. 2) and Baylor (No. 7).
Atlantic Sun Softball Weekly Notes:
- Jacksonville’s Sarah Sigrest is tied for eighth all-time in single-season pitching wins, with 27.
- Kennesaw State’s Jessica Cross is 12th in the A-Sun record books in career slugging percentage. Cross has a .629 percentage over the last four seasons, one of which she was redshirted. With career home runs Cross is seventh all-time, just two shy of sixth place and three shy of fifth. Cross was also selected to the preseason all-conference team.
- Lipscomb pitcher Whitney Kiihnl ranks fourth all-time for career strikeouts with 902, fourth all time for career pitching wins, with 71 and fifth all-time for career shutouts with 31.
- Kiihnl is eighth in the Atlantic Sun single-season record books after recording 328 strikeouts last season She is also eighth all-time for single-season shutouts, with 12.
- After winning the conference championship, Jacksonville defeated Bethune-Cookman in the Gainesville Regional, but fell to UCLA twice in the double elimination regional. The win against Bethune-Cookman marks the 15th postseason win for Atlantic Sun softball in the last 10 years.
- After claiming last year’s Atlantic Sun Softball Championship for the first time in school history, Jacksonville received nine out of 10 first-place votes in the preseason Atlantic Sun Coaches Poll. The Dolphins pitcher-catcher duo Sarah Sigrest and Sarah Simon were tabbed as the Preseason Pitcher and Player of the Year. Jacksonville infielder Amanda Schmidt was also a unanimous selection to the Preseason All-Conference Team.
A-Sun Softball Records since 2008
- Lipscomb sits atop the chart with the best four-year average in Atlantic Sun play,(.780), followed by FGCU (.695) and USC Upstate (.622) .
- USC Upstate has the best overall record over the last four years with a 146-59 record, (.712). The Spartans are followed by last years’ runner-up Lipscomb with a 148-73 record (.670).
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.