Monday, February 25, 2013
MACON, Ga. – USC Upstate's Shellie Robinson and Stetson's Meredith Owen lead their teams in big games to capture Atlantic Sun Weekly Softball Honors as announced by the conference on Monday.
Robinson recorded two home runs against the top-pitchers at No. 20 Kentucky, while Owen held her opponents to a .192 batting average this weekend.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Shellie Robinson, USC Upstate
(So. – OF – DeLand, Fla. – Chemistry)
- Fourth Career Player of the Week award; first this season
- Hit .500 for the week with three of her nine hits coming as home runs and three as doubles
- Turned in a triple vs. Georgetown to finish the week with a 1.278 slugging percentage
- Highlighted the week with three hits vs. No. 20 Kentucky, including two solo home runs and a double
- Collected three RBIs against the Wildcats top-two pitchers, who have combined for three wins over top-20 teams this season
PITCHER OF THE WEEK:
Meredith Owen, Stetson
- Chelsea Zgrabik (Jr., FGCU) – Hit two home runs in four games during the week for the Eagles
- Mariah Reynolds (Jr., North Florida) – Had 14 total bases last week and slugged .875
- Sam Lower (Sr., ETSU) – Collected her first collegiate Grand Slam vs. Siena
- Courtney Brandt (So., Stetson) – Led the Hatters to a 4-0 week with a double, two home runs, and six RBIs
- Michelle Carson (Jr., Northern Kentucky) – Maintained a team-best four-game hitting streak for the Norse
- Karson Tuck (Sr., Jacksonville) – Registered five RBIs to lead the Dolphins to a 3-1 week
- Brittany Elmore (Fr., Lipscomb) – Tallied at least one hit in all five Frost Classic games for the Bisons
- Sarah Santana (Sr., Mercer) – Recorded the game-winning home run to secure the FIU Classic Championship for the Bears
(Jr. – P – Jacksonville, Miss. – Marketing)
- First Career Pitcher of the Week award
- Went 4-0 with a 0.71 earned run average at the Hatter Classic.
- Held opponents to a .192 batting average for the week
- Pitched two shut-out for the Hatters vs. Dartmouth and Bethune-Cookman
- Registered 13 strike outs in 19.2 innings pitched for the Hatters
- Named to the Hatter Classic all-tournament team.
- Courtney Radke (Jr., North Florida) – Pitched her second career no-hitter in game vs. Townson
- Kelley Benhase (So., Northern Kentucky) – Picked up NKU's first victory as a Division I program vs. Toledo
- Heather Parker (Jr., Lipscomb) – Threw her first shutout of the season with 6-0 win over Ohio
- Cecile Gomez (Fr., Jacksonville) – Put out a season-best nine batters to get the win against Seton Hall
- Jackie Owen (Jr., FGCU) – Only allowed one extra base hit in in 13.0 innings pitched
- Abbey Mixon (Sr., Kennesaw State) – Recorded 15 strikeouts in three games for the Owls
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.