Monday, October 29, 2012
MACON, Ga. – Freshman Sammie Strausbaugh earned her first A-Sun Volleyball Player of the Week honor with 56-kill, 21-dig performance last week that helped Jacksonville to its first three-game win streak of the season and provided the Dolphins a chance for a spot in the A-Sun Volleyball championship.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Sammie Strausbaugh, Jacksonville (Fr. – Outside Hitter – Dover, Pa. – Exercise Science)
• First career Player of the Week honor
• Posted 56 kills and 21 digs in 12 sets to lead JU to its first three-game winning streak of the season
• Opened with 13 kills, four digs and two blocks against Stetson
• Recorded 20 kills, eight digs and four blocks in a must-win match at Mercer
• Finished the week tying a season high with 23 kills in the five-set win at Kennesaw State
• Managed nine digs and two blocks against the Owls
• Has hit double-digit kills in seven of the last nine A-Sun matches, including five in a row
• Official stats for the week: 12s, 56 K, 18 E, 138 TA, .275 avg, 21 digs, eight blocks
• Jill Hopper, FGCU – Registered a pair of 20-kill performances last week for the 1st place Eagles...Hit .386 in FGCU's two matches as the Eagles extended their winning streak and remained undefeated in conference play
• Meredith Hardy, ETSU – Hit over .400 in two matches this weekend at Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky...Recorded a career-high 25 kills in the five-set win at NKU and extended her streak of at least one block to 53 straight matches ... Led all players with a .476 (25-5-42) attack percentage vs. the Norse
• Kaycee Green, Lipscomb – Her 5.33 kills per set helped the Lady Bisons to a perfect 2-0 record...Posted a .279 hitting percentage and at least 15 kills in each match. Recorded 5.67 kills per set and a .289 hitting percentage against the Bucs and 5.00 kills per set and a .268 hitting percentage against the Spartans
• Paige Pridgeon, North Florida – Posted double-doubles in all three matches last week, helping the Ospreys to a 2-1 record... has 13 double-doubles on the season, 9 of which were in A-Sun matches... Team's leader in kills against Florida Gulf Coast and Mercer...Second on the team in digs against Florida Gulf Coast and Mercer
• Turea Jones, Kennesaw State – Totaled 27 kills in two matches...Hit .241 against the Ospreys and tallied five blocks against JU... Picked up 32 total points along with 23 digs as well
• Jenna Schreiver, Northern Kentucky – Averaged 11.6 assists per set to lead NKU to its 20th-consecutive 20-win season and maintain her school-record pace...Earned her eighth double-double of the season and came two kills short of NKU's first triple-double since 2005 against ETSU
•Lexi Gober, USC Upstate – Posted her ninth double-double of the season with 22 assists and 11 digs at Northern Kentucky...Dished out 26 assists at Lipscomb...Averaged 8.00 assists per set and 3.00 digs per set.
The Atlantic Sun Conference is an NCAA Division I league with 10 member institutions committed to Building Winners for Life. The A-Sun meets the challenge of maintaining the highest standards in academic and athletic achievement with a true balance between student and athlete. Headquartered in Macon, Ga., the A-Sun boasts six of the top eight media markets in the Southeast. The A-Sun includes a blend of the most prestigious and dynamic private and public institutions in the region: East Tennessee State University, Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Lipscomb University, Mercer University, University of North Florida, Northern Kentucky University, University of South Carolina Upstate and Stetson University.