Monday, September 23, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Stetson's Kaley Melville is the #ASunVB Player of the Week and her teammate Tiffany Creamer is the A-Sun Freshman of the Week, while ETSU's Meredith Hardy earned Defensive Player of the Week honors, the conference office announced Monday.
Melville, the A-Sun Player of the Week, averaged 4.23 kills per set, hit .344 and averaged 1.92 digs per set for the week that included the Hatters' 3-0 defeat of Bethune-Cookman and a pair of victories to open the A-Sun season against Jacksonville and North Florida. Melville tallied 45 kills in the two conference games, including a double-double of 28 kills and 13 digs versus the Ospreys. Melville helped the Hatters extend their win streak to four straight over the weekend, the longest current streak in the conference.
Hardy garnered Defensive Player of the Week after her 19 blocks (2.38 per set) led to a total of 30.5 for ETSU for the weekend and helped the Bucs to a tie for first in the A-Sun with a 2-0 mark. The weekend wins also extended their current win streak to four matches. In the 3-1 win against Kennesaw State, Hardy tallied 11 blocks, the most by an A-Sun player in a match this season and just one shy of tying her career high.
Tiffany Creamer earns her first career Freshman of the Week award, helping the Hatters to a 3-0 mark for the week and into a tie for the A-Sun lead at 2-0. She tallied 33 kills in conference matches (3.08 kills per set) with a hitting percentage of .250, including a season-high 19 kills that included the game-winner in the fifth set in Stetson's come-from-behind 3-2 win over UNF. She also added a service ace and averaged .69 digs and .31 blocks per set.
Atlantic Sun Volleyball Player of the Week - Sept. 23|
| Kaley Melville Stetson
• New Germany, Minn.
||• First Career A-Sun Player of the Week honor
• Helped Hatters to three straight wins last week and into a tie for A-Sun lead with ETSU at 2-0
• Recorded 45 kills in A-Sun matches and 55 in three overall, including double-double of 28 kills/13 digs vs. North Florida
• Hit .344 in three matches and averaged 4.23 kills per set
• Also averaged 1.92 digs and .62 blocks per set
• Stats for the Week: 4.23 Kills/Set, .344 hitting pct, 45 kills in two conference matches
• Next Stetson Contest: at Bethune-Cookman; Tuesday, Sept. 24 (Daytona Beach, Fla.) ||
Megan Devine, ETSU; Kayla Eversgerd, USC Upstate; Gabriela Roman, Jacksonville; Jewell Dobson, Lipscomb; Jessica Barnes, FGCU
Atlantic Sun Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week - Sept. 23|
| Meredith Hardy ETSU
• Jr.; MB
• Kingsport, Tenn.
• Exercise Science
||• Second Career A-Sun Volleyball weekly award
• Recorded 19 blocks in two matches, with a 2.38 blocks per set average
• Tallied 11 blocks against Kennesaw State in 3-1 victory with a pair of digs
• Her 11 blocks vs. KSU were one shy of tying her career mark of 12
• Contributed most blocks (11) in a match by any A-Sun player in 2013
• Propelled the Bucs to a total of 30.5 blocks for the weekend
• Helped ETSU to first-place tie with Stetson and extend the Bucs' win streak to four matches
• Stats for the Week: 2.38 Blocks/Set, 10 total blocks, A-Sun season high of 11 vs. KSU
• Next ETSU Contest: at USC Upstate (Spartanburg, SC); Friday, Sept. 26
Michelle Kastner, Stetson; Morgan Page, USC Upstate; Karina Mambuca, FGCU; Rachel Miller, Jacksonville; Bri McCombs, Lipscomb
Atlantic Sun Volleyball Freshman of the Week - Sept. 23|
| Tiffany Creamer Stetson
• Outside Hitter
• Newnan, Ga.
• Integrative Health Science
||• First career A-Sun Volleyball weekly award
• Recorded 40 kills (33 in A-Sun play) to average 3.08 kills per set for the week
• Hit .250 in three matches (.330 in A-sun play) with a high of .380 in the comeback 3-2 win against North Florida
• Contributed a service ace and averaged .69 digs and .31 blocks per set
• Helped the Hatters extend their win streak to five matches and become 2-0 in the A-Sun for first time since 2007
• Helped the Hatters into a tie for first with ETSU in the A-Sun
• Stats for the Week: 3.08 kills/set, .330 hit pct in A-Sun matches
• Next Stetson Contest: at Bethune-Cookman (Daytona Beach, Fla.); Tues., Sept. 24
Keely Creamer, Northern Kentucky; Rachel Miller, Jacksonville; Kayla Ostrum, Lipscomb
About Player of the Week
The following criteria are used by the Atlantic Sun Conference in selecting the A-Sun Players of the Week in each of the conference’s 20 sports. These criteria are used in no specific order and, in its groupings, one does not weigh more than the others:
• Statistics compiled during the week of competition
• The impact of that person’s efforts in meeting the team goals (i.e., game-winning shot, walk-off home run, etc.)
• Magnitude of the contest on the conference and national level (i.e., game meant championship, etc.)
• When individual participates in more than one game per week, how that individual performs in each of those games, effecting team performance goals
• Level of competition faced by each individual
• Each week’s performance will be considered on its own merit
• Other pertinent factors (i.e., career milestones; program, conference and/or national records)