Wednesday, November 21, 2012
MACON, Ga. - Mercer fell to No. 5 Notre Dame on Tuesday night in South Bend, Ind. The Irish have now
won 26 out of its last 27 home games while the Bears five-game winning streak came to an
end with the loss. Mercer jumped out to a 3-0 start in the season, the best start for the Bears
squad since 1999.
A-Sun Women's Basketball Notes (#ASunWBB):
- For the third straight week FGCU was ranked in the College Insider Mid-Major Top-25 Poll,
moving up a spot to No. 7 with 528 points. The Eagles’ junior Sarah Hansen earned her first
career A-Sun Player of the Week honor after shooting 51.7 from the field and 85.7 from the
free throw line.
- Stetson’s Victoria McGowan scored 27 points, including 13 in a row during a key second half
run, led to the Hatters 66-52 victory over Bethune-Cookman. The home win extended their
home win streak to six.
- Kennesaw State hit a season high 12 three-pointers but fell short in their Preseason WNIT
match-up against Davidson 63-54 in Morehead, Ky. Owl freshman, Chelsea Mason earned
A-Sun Newcomer of the Week honors after tallying 42 total points on the week coming off
the bench for the Owls; averaging 25 minutes per game.
- Northern Kentucky travels to Chicago, Ill., to take on Loyola on Wednesday night. This wraps
up the Norse season-opening four-game road trip. NKU is in search of their first division one
women’s basketball victory after falling shy in their first three games.
- Lipscomb is competing with young squad with three freshman in the starting line-up in
Alex Banks, Kelli Smith and Presley Stastny. Stastny was the Bisons leader in scoring in their
game against Texas Tech with 13 points. LU will be taking on Murray State on the road on
Saturday, November 24th.
- Jacksonville as a team leads the A-Sun in three point percentage, shooting 43.2 percent behind
the arc. Senior Maggie Wilson led the team with 15 points in their game against Florida
Atlantic. The Dolphins fell shy in in their non-conference match-up against FAU 96-79. JU will
look to bounce back against Vermont at home on Wednesday, November 21st in Swisher
- North Florida ended their four game road swing against Florida, Miami and Central Florida
but look to turn things around as they will host Vermont in their home opener on Saturday,
November 24th at UNF Arena. The Osprey will also host Bethune-Cookman at home before
the team gets back on the road at South Florida.
- USC Upstate’s Tee’Ara Copney is the A-Sun career leader in points with 1,285 and had a 19
point night against St. Andrews in the Spartans’ 83-26 victory. All 13 Spartans scored in their
Monday night match-up and look to carry that momentum into their Wednesday night nonconference
game against George Washington.
- ETSU’s Destiny Mitchell leads the league in scoring averaging 20.5 point per game. Mitchell
also ranks second in the league in steals with 3.5 per game. Mitchell will look to lead the Bucs
into their next match against Memphis at home on Friday, November 30th.
- There are twenty games scheduled in the upcoming week for A-Sun women’s basketball.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.