Wednesday, November 28, 2012
MACON, Ga. – North Florida's Raneisha Lamar and Kennesaw State's Sametria Gideon recorded double-doubles and Mercer's Precious Bridges scored 23 points as the Ospreys, Owls and Bears were winners in Wednesday's A-Sun women's basketball action.
All three wins ended in closely contested games. UNF's largest lead was 10 points early in the first half, but the Ospreys could only keep it to seven in the second while withstanding a Bethune-Cookman charge late for the one-point victory. Kennesaw led by four at the half over Jacksonville State and maintained it until falling behind 50-49 with just 10 seconds remaining. Kristina Wells knocked down a pair of free throws with three seconds left to give KSU the 51-50 win. Mercer led by as many as 11 in the second half but needed three free throws from Bridges with less than a minute to go to break a 43-43 tie and help the Bears claim the 46-43 home victory over Davidson.
Bridges led all players in scoring on 7-of-21 shooting. UNF's Reneisha Lamar paired 15 points with 10 rebounds while Gideon scored 13 with 12 rebounds. Ashley Holliday also scored 13 and Chantel Kennedy grabbed a dozen rebounds for the Owls to tie Gideon as the top rebounders for the evening.
The Bears' Sharnea Boykin contributed a high of eight assists, UNF's Octavia Langston blocked four shots and Mercer's Kendra Grant tallied four steals for the evening highs.
Women's Basketball Contests
• North Florida 56, Bethune-Cookman 55
• South Carolina State 68, Jacksonville 45
• Mercer 46, Davidson 43
• Kennesaw State 51, Jacksonville State 50
1. Precious Bridges, Mercer – 23 points
2. Raneisha Lamar, North Florida – 15 points
3. Maggie Wilson, Jacksonville – 14 points
T1. Sametria Gideon and Chantel Kennedy, Kennesaw State – 12 rebounds
2. Raneisha Lamar, North Florida – 10 rebounds
T3. Kendra Grant, Mercer & Teanna Robinson, Mercer – 7 rebounds
1. Sharnea Boykin, Mercer – 8 assists
2. Destinee Smith, North Florida – 3 assists
3. Stephanie Edwards, Jacksonville – 4 assists
1. Octavia Langston, North Florida – 4 blocks
2. Teanna Robinson, Mercer – 3 blocks
1. Fabiola Josil, North Florida – 3 steals
2. Kendra Grant, Mercer – 4 steals
A pair of women's games are scheduled for Thursday and Friday, as Lipscomb faces Ole Miss in Oxford at 7 p.m. (EST) and ETSU hosts Memphis on Friday night at 7 p.m. (EST).