Tuesday, December 04, 2012
MACON, Ga. - ETSU's Destiny Mitchell and Kennesaw State's Chelsea Mason landed the weekly Atlantic Sun Women's Basketball awards, announced Tuesday by the league office.
Mitchell controlled the boards by grabbing 16 rebounds in the Buccaneers win over Memphis, while Mason came off the bench to average 11 points on the week.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Destiny Mitchell, ETSU
(Jr. – G/F – Bluffton, Ga. – Criminal Justice)
- Third Career Player of the Week award; first this season
- Led the Buccaneers to two victories to improve their record to 2-2 on the season.
- Averaged a double-double this week with 14.5 points and 11 rebounds
- Pulled down 16 rebounds in ETSU's 83-73 win over Memphis
- Against Morehead State tallied 13 of her 15 points in the second half to secure the 57-53 edge over the Eagles
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK:
Chelsea Mason, Kennesaw State
- Sarah Hansen (Jr., FGCU) – Eagles junior became the sixth person in program history to hit the 1,000 point mark
- Sametria Gideon (Sr., Kennesaw State) – Averaging a double-double on the season after collecting her fourth this season
- Tee'Ara Copney (Sr., USC Upstate) – Went 9-for-9 from the charity stripe in the Spartans two victories
- Precious Bridges (So., Mercer) – Tallied 23 points in the Bears' win vs. Davidson
- Raneisha Lamar (Jr., North Florida) – Tied her career-high with 15 points in win against Bethune-Cookman
- Christine Roush (Fr., Northern Kentucky) – Scored a career-high 24 points in NKU's first-ever Division I win over Youngstown State
(Fr. – G – Bellevue, Neb. – Biochemistry)
- Second Career Newcomer of the Week award
- The true freshman averaged 11 points in Kennesaw's two games this week
- Landed 13 points in the Owl's 51-50 victory over Jacksonville State
- Came off the bench in both games to average 21.5 minutes played
- Brittany Starling (Fr., USC Upstate) – Went 5-for-5 from the floor scoring 12 points against Western Carolina
- Serena Clark (So., ETSU) – Grabbed a season-high 10 rebounds in win against Morehead State
- Mallory Charpentier (Fr., Lipscomb) – Shot 77.8 percent from the field in the Bisons two games
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.