Friday, December 28, 2012
MACON, Ga. - There are only four non-conference games scheduled before Atlantic Sun Women’s Basketball conference play begins on Sunday, December 31 with eight teams tipping off against each other.
A-Sun Women's Basketball Notes (#ASunWBB):
- Mercer’s Precious Bridges tallied her fourth 20 plus point game of the season against High Point on Friday, December 21st. As a sophomore Bridges averages 17.1 points per game; currently the best in the A-Sun. Bridges 29 point performance vs. Georgia Southern is the most by an A-Sun player in a single game this season.
- Northern Kentucky had four players score in the double digits in its 71-55 win vs. UNC-Wilmington. The Norse look to carry that momentum into its first division one conference-opener against Jacksonville on Sunday, December 31st.
- Stetson is tied at No. 16 in the nation for consecutive home wins with a ten game win streak at Edmunds Center. The Hatter’s next home contest is against North Florida on Saturday, January 5th.
- The Hatters Victoria McGowan earned Hatter Classic MVP honors after averaging 16.0 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 6.0 assists per game in a pair of Hatter victories against Georgia Southern (70-39) and UNC Asheville (74-47).
- ETSU’s Tiana Burley earned her first career A-Sun Newcomer of the Week honors after coming off the bench and snagging a double-double in her debut as a Buccaneer. Burley finished the night with 19 points and 13 rebounds in the Bucs loss vs. Appalachian State.
- FGCU fell to No. 12 in the eighth edition of the 2012-13 CollegeInsider.com Women’s Basketball Mid-Major Top 25 poll. The Eagles have been ranked in every week of the poll this season.
- The Eagles fell to UCF at home which ended a 16 game home win streak. Since becoming a Division I squad, the Eagles have a 78-5 home record.
- Kennesaw State Sametria Gideon has five double-doubles this season and now has 24 in her career; the most in the A-Sun. ETSU’s Destiny Mitchell follows in career double-doubles with 18 total.
- In the Owls last two games seniors Gideon and Ashley Holliday have combined for over half of Kennesaw State’s total points, landing 58 of the Owls 114 total points vs. Georgia Southern and Texas State.
- USC Upstate’s Tee’Ara Copney has tallied double-figures in six games in the 2012-13 season. Copney has 1,358 career points; the most of the active players and No. 32 in A-Sun record books. The Spartans host Furman in its final non-conference game; the first time the two teams have met since 1985.
- Lipscomb has won their last two conference openers and will look to extend that streak to three as the team travels to North Florida. The Bisons are led by senior Hannah Phillips landing 2.5 three point shots per game; the most in the A-Sun. The Ospreys hold an 11-2 advantage in the match-up against the Bisons.
- North Florida’s Destinee Smith was awarded A-Sun Player of the Week for her 20 point performance on the road against Coastal Carolina. Smith led the Osprey to a 69-58 victory by shooting 6-for-7 from behind the arc and grabbing a career high three steals.
- Jacksonville is second in the conference in scoring offense; shooting 65.9 points per game behind Stetson with 69 points per game. Jade Cargill leads the team in scoring with 11.8 points and 9.1 rebounds per game. Cargill has also tallied 26 total steals this season.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.