Friday, January 04, 2013
MACON, Ga. - Five Atlantic Sun teams remain unbeaten in conference play heading into the weekend. Four undefeated squads look to square off with each other with North Florida at Stetson and Jacksonville at FGCU.
Kennesaw State hosts Mercer on Saturday, January 4th on ESPN3, while four A-Sun contests will be featured on ASun.TV for free.
A-Sun Women's Basketball Notes (#ASunWBB):
- Jacksonville jumped out to a 2-0 start in conference play with a 65-60 win vs. Northern Kentucky and a 58-45 win vs. Lipscomb. This marks the third time in program history the Dolphins have started conference play 2-0.
- FGCU held a No. 12 ranking CollegeInsider.com Women’s Basketball Mid-Major Top 25 poll. The Eagles have won their last 20 conference games.
- The Eagles Sarah Hansen earned A-Sun Player of the week accolades after recording a career-high 30 points vs. LSU. Hansen tallied a combined 24 points in FGCU conference games vs. Kennesaw State and Mercer.
- Stetson’s Victoria McGowan led the Hatters to a 57-52 comeback victory vs. Kennesaw State with a career-high 33 points. McGowan leads the league in scoring (18.4) and in three-point shooting percentage (.458) ; which ranks No.14 in the nation.
- North Florida’s 2-0 start in conference play is the program’s best start in four years. In the Ospreys first two conference games they have held their opponents to an average of 52.5 points.
- UNF’s Jadhken Kerr is now tied at No. 5 in the A-Sun record books with 234 career three-pointers
- Northern Kentucky will host USC Upstate in its first A-Sun conference home-opener. The last six games for the Norse have been decided by ten points or less.
- The Spartans Tee’Ara Copney ranks 29th in the A-Sun record books with 1,397 total points and needs just 34 points to crack the top-25 all-time.
- Copney has hit 27 of 28 from the charity stripe this season for the Spartans and leads the league in free-throw percentage (.964)
- ETSU looks to take on Lipscomb at Allen Arena on Saturday, January 5th. The Buccaneers are 7-0 vs. the Bisons in the last three years and holds a 16.1 scoring margin.
- The Bucs Tosha Austin ranks No. 19 in the A-Sun record books with 111 blocks and needs just 11 more to breaks the top-15.
- Hannah Phillips averages 2.3 three-pointers per game for the Bisons; the most in the A-Sun. LU has three players in the top-15 in the A-Sun in three-point field goals made.
- Lipscomb has started four freshman in its last two contests.
- Mercer ranks No. 1 in the league in offensive rebounding (17.7), with three players in the top-15 in the A-Sun for offensive rebounding.
- Kennesaw State’s Sametria Gideon leads the A-Sun in rebounding with 10.3 per game. Gideon has 41 career games with ten or more rebounds.
- The Owls average 11.7 fouls per game which is the seventh least in the country
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.