Friday, February 01, 2013
MACON, Ga. - The first half of the conference season has concluded with FGCU at the top of the standing at a perfect 9-0. In its last game the squad defeated Stetson to hand the Hatters their first loss of the conference season.
USC Upstate (4-5; 8-12) is hosting Northern Kentucky (4-5; 6-10) on ESPN 3 on Saturday, February 2 at 2 PM.
A-Sun Women's Basketball Notes (#ASunWBB):
- Both FGCU and Mercer are ranked in the top-15 nationally in current win streak with the Eagles tied at No. 5 with 10 wins and the Bears tied at No. 11 with 7 wins.
- The Eagles has won its last 27 conference games, which is one of longest streaks in the country behind Baylor (30). This win streak also marks a conference record.
- FGCU’s offense has been unstoppable so far with the Eagles outscoring its conference opponents by an average of 24.7 points per game. In league games, the Eagles are averaging 11 three-point field goals per game.
- Four Jacksonville players are ranked in the top-20 in the A-Sun in rebounding; the most of any team in the league. In conference play, the Dolphins hold a 1.0 rebounding margin.
- Three Lipscomb freshmen have started in over ten games this season with Alex Banks marking 19 starts, Presley Stastny 17 and Kelli Smith with 14 starts this season.
- The Bisons Hannah Phillps and Stastny are averaging 1.9 three-point field goals per game which rank in the top five in the league.
- ETSU has won its last seven contest vs. the Bisons. Earlier this season, the Buccaneers grabbed an 80-74 victory in Nashville.
- The Bucs Destiny Mitchell has been the hot hand for the squad in their last thee contest tallying an average of 13 points in those games. Mitchell has 900 career points and ranks No. 47 in the A-Sun record books in rebounds with 617 total.
- USC Upstate’s Tyra Smith is shooting 93.3 percent from the free throw line in conference action. As a team the Spartans are shooting 74.7 percent from the charity stripe in their conference match-ups, which ranks No. 2 in the A-Sun behind FGCU shooting 75.5 percent.
- Northern Kentucky came away with a 70-62 victory at home in its last meeting with the Spartans. Freshman Rianna Gayheart scored a game-high 24 points in the contest for the Norse.
- Four NKU player rank in the top-15 in the league in three-point field goal percentage. As a team the Norse are No. 2 in the conference in three-point shooting percentage (.325).
- Kennesaw State’s Sametria Gideon pulled down her 1,000th rebound vs. Lipscomb to become the ninth player in A-Sun history to record both 1,000 points and rebounds in their career. Gideon has 11 double-doubles this season which ranks No. 20 in the country.
- Mercer’s Precious Bridges is leading the league in scoring with 18.4 PPG. Bridges has collected 20+ points in the Bears last six games.
- Stetson is averaging 69.9 points per game and hold a .443 shooting percentage which is No. 1 in the league.
- The Hatters Victoria McGowan is No. 2 in the conference games in scoring with 17.1 PPG and is No. 1 in the league in three-point field goals per game with 2.3 against conference opponents.
- North Florida’s Jadhken Kerr is climbing up the A-Sun record books. Kerr currently ranks No. 4 all-time in three-point field goals made with 246 in her career as an Osprey.
- Both the Hatters and the Ospreys have held their opponents to an average of less than 60 points per game, which ranks second and third in the league.
Follow the Atlantic Sun on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.